PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin: side effects wear off or...?

jutsenberg
01-08-14, 17:22
Looking for some advice here:

I started on Pregabalin 150mg two weeks ago and doubled to 300mg one week ago. I was put on the pregabalin for severe anxiety. My anxiety has tapered off a wee bit, but noticed that I am constantly hungry (far worse than mirtazipine that i managed to control) and feel like my head is full of cotton wool. I am finding it very hard to think clearly and feel very lethargic. Are these side effects common and if so, do they shift? I think i'd rather the anxiety than this spacey zombie feeling.

Anybody? :wacko:

hanshan
02-08-14, 04:19
The stuffy head and lethargy that you describe are common side effects that usually disappear within a week or so.

Both mirtazapine and pregabalin are associated with weight gain - generally, mirtazapine is seen as having a stronger effect than pregabalin, but everyone reacts differently. Hopefully, the munchies will also wear off, or be controllable.

Good luck with pregabalin. It doesn't work for everyone, but if it does, it can make a real difference.

A Nervous Nigel
02-08-14, 17:17
Heyy,

I am also on 300mg and I'm experiencing the munchies and some brain fog! Been at that dose around a week now and its getting better.. So I hope this continues, I have to go to uni in September so that brain fog wouldn't be very good!

2 weeks is still early days! I think by 4-6 weeks it will level out and the side effects wear off! Fingers crossed!

Could I just ask, I've seen quite a few people on these pregabalin threads being prescribed mirtazapine, what type of antidepressant is this, an SSRI?

Nigel

hanshan
02-08-14, 20:31
Hi Nigel,

It's a NaSSA (not the space agency) - noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressant. That is, it increases the effect of noradrenaline and serotonin through a different action to SSRIs. It also works as an antihistamine. Its effects generally are to improve sleep quality and reduce depression / anxiety. It can also work as an appetite stimulant, which is an unfortunate effect for many people!