PDA

View Full Version : Really weird, 'not right' feeling, like things are different somehow??

VioletWings
01-08-14, 20:38
I have been feeling like this off and on the last week. I came off citalopram a couple weeks ago after about 3 years of being on them, and have had increased anxiety symptoms again, but want to fight them without meds now as pregnant.

I am feeling like it at the moment, no doubt heightened by the fact my husband is away until Monday, but I felt it even a few days ago when he was here. Just a really weird feeling, like things just aren't the same -just not feeling 'normal'. Oh yeah, and feeling generally nervous when on my own! It's a bit overwhelming! :weep:

I never had this with anxiety before but I wonder if it's some sort of anxiety/depression symptom that's looming as a withdrawal effect. I've also not been feeling so good physically too which maybe contributes. Just wondered if this sounds familiar to anyone?

Oosh
01-08-14, 22:00
I was on Prozac for four years. When you come off antidepressants after so long your brain has to balance out again. It's still very early days. There's no doubt it's just your brain readjusting.
I felt terrible for a while. I was taking St. John's wort and jogging, anything to boost my mood.

I wouldn't go worrying that any negative things you feel are conditions returning etc it makes way more sense to see it as your brain chemistry readjusting after the medication has been taken away.

Get some 5htp in case your levels have temporarily dropped.
Plenty of walking. Swimming might be best if your preggers.

Lyn89
02-08-14, 07:51
Congratulations on the baby! :) be kind to yourself-- you've just come off meds, your hormones are changing and are probably all over the place and on top of that you feel insecure because your husband is away for a while. No wonder you feel anxious and a little off! Sometimes it helps to see that other factors contribute to how you feel. As Oosh said, don't see it as a failure or things coming back. Its not always our own doing it fault that we feel anxious. Sometimes I feel more anxious and beat myself up for it when actually I haven't realised that the time of the month is coming up, or I feel panicky and realise I'm not breathing right because I forgot to take my allergy meds. Things like that can always contribute, it doesn't mean everything is spiralling out of control. To me it sounds like you are a bit hypervigilant because you're on guard/anxious about getting bad again, your husband being away and you've got a baby on the way too to protect and care for. I used to get hypervigilant-- I was always aware and searching for any changes in my environment or threats, and it does make things feel and look weird. That's what adrenaline does to your eyes. Try welcoming it rather than feeling: oh no things look and feel different, there must be something wrong! This will pass-- your brain needs to get used to no meds. Until then, be kinder to yourself and remember there's lots of factors in this other than your own ability to cope. You're doing just fine :)

VioletWings
05-08-14, 16:57
Thank you so much to both of you. Yeah, I suppose it will take time to adjust and this has been a strange situation for me the last week. I will try and move forward and trust things will feel better! Thanks again!

MyNameIsTerry
06-08-14, 03:32
I get that feeling whether on or off them. It's a strange sort of uneasiness that you can't put your finger on. to me, it doesn't feel intense enough to be considered anxiety but it's just there in the background and you start to question whether this is normal, did I just not notice it before my anxiety disorder, etc?

I agree, it's early days. I came off Citalopram years ago before relapsing and going onto Duloxetine. I didn't tackle my issues and my work put me under too much pressure, so it was always going to happen again. I mainly had the head zaps, fuzziness, etc but after 15 days it all went away but my anxiety didn't fully return at that point, it started to come back gradually after months of pressure.

See how it goes, write it down and monitor your symptoms maybe?