PDA

View Full Version : weak heartbeat, not pulse

nokindofhero
01-08-14, 20:47
basically, I went to the ER a week ago because I woke up with a faster than normal heart rate that also felt weak, even though I could tell it was pumping hard. It really freaked me out and I had a tight or airy chest, I really can't tell. ECG and blood work came back fine but I just can't stop thinking something was missed.

I feel the same today and I can't sleep much at all from my anxiety lately.

Normally, I can feel a strong beat right through my ribs, but when this happens, it is hard to find and makes me feel like little blood is circulating or the heart is struggling somehow.

I can't sleep well, because I fear waking up like this and it is depressing because I take very good care of myself yet I can't enjoy it.

I don't know what to do besides run to the ER again because I just don't know.

Fishmanpa
01-08-14, 21:07
There's no way we can detect or confirm a "weak" heartbeat. Our hearts are controlled by involuntary actions contained with the heart muscle itself. It beats continuously without a rest our entire lives. It's doesn't weaken due to inactivity like other muscles. The only way it's compromised is by disease and/or damage, like a heart attack or cardio vascular issues, both of which have been ruled out from testing.

What you describe and what you described in a previous thread is more likely an anxiety related issue and being hyper-focused of your physical being, specifically your heart.

Positive thoughts

nokindofhero
01-08-14, 21:14
Thanks, Fish.

I'm sorry if I've come off annoying about this..

anthrokid
02-08-14, 00:19
I can't feel my heartbeat at all. Definitely not through my ribs. And I don't even bother looking for a pulse. My body hides them. Doesn't mean my pulse/heart is weak, just means I can't feel it through all of the fat, muscle and skin (I'm quite small and slim too). When I go for blood tests they can never get my veins either - I've had them go through my wrist before.

Fishmanpa
02-08-14, 02:57
Thanks, Fish.

I'm sorry if I've come off annoying about this..

Nah... No worries. It has to suck to have your anxiety take over your mind. I just try to offer a very straight up and logical response. If that doesn't work, I'll cyber slap ya upside the head ;)

Positive thoughts

nokindofhero
03-08-14, 19:08
Hahaha. Fair enough. :)

I might need that slap sometimes. :P

nokindofhero
09-12-14, 13:41
Turns out I had severe Aortic Valve Regurgitation and a water hammer pulse with bouts of Afib.

I'm post-op now OHS 5 days and I have a new mechanical valve.

I had the bentall procedure to replace the valve and root.

A lot of my symptoms have subsided and I've had very consistent vitals!

Chest hurts like hell, though. Lol.

Fishmanpa
09-12-14, 14:35
Wow... so they actually found something and fixed it! I had open heart for bypass so I hear you in the ouchie!

Let me ask you a question. It appears, at least from the tone of your post that the anxiety issues took a back seat. Despite the physical aspects of healing, you seem to be doing much better?

Positive thoughts

anthrokid
11-12-14, 02:29
Fantastic to hear that they've found a cause for your symptoms and have been able to treat it. Also good to hear that you are doing well post-op. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

nokindofhero
19-04-15, 23:53
Four months post-op and my anxiety is nearly nonexistent these days.

I recently had a TEE (scope down the throat for echocardiagram) and my heart has remodeled well and the leak has almost completely stopped.

Physically, I am resting better than ever, my shortness of breath is gone, my vitals are great, my BP is averaging 110/70 and rarely goes above 130/80 in stressful situations.

My INR remains between 2.0 and 3.0 daily. I have hardly any PVC or PACs anymore and when I do, I can actually hear them but they are very rare and no longer bother me.

I feel my life has done a total 180 as I've not felt this good in years and had I not been so persistent with rushing to the ER, I may have never known, but I acknowledge that this is a rare case of someone with anxiety and hypochondria that actually turns out to be right in all their paranoia.

On the bright side, I'm not anxious anymore. I have almost zero hypochondria or at least I don't think about it anymore and I am about to start getting my life back on track.

For those of you that offered me real support, I thank you from the bottom of my heart just for listening and I hope to give others real support with these crippling issues we and many others still face daily.

My only advice for now goes out to all cardiophobes: find a good cardiologist who will listen and take your concerns seriously because you never know what's going on. Be sure to rule out valvular insufficiency. I'm 28 years old and have never been told that I had any heart problems until November when it all hit at once and I was diagnosed with congenital heart disease and early stages of heart failure. A bicuspid aortic valve with severe regurgitation and stenosis.

pugs3686
19-04-15, 23:58
What tests did they run to find out you had these problems?

nokindofhero
08-10-15, 18:15
ECG, stress test, cardiac MRI and CT scan.