PDA

View Full Version : Feeling frustrated

Munchlet
02-08-14, 10:46
I give up, back last year my Dr referred me to CBT as he felt it would help with my HA. I went along and had six sessions, was given a lot of literature to read through etc and whilst it was ok I didn't feel that overall it really had any effect on helping me to cope with the HA.

So as some of you probably know I've been having a really bad phase over the last few months and a few weeks ago I referred myself again to have what I thought was more CBT.

To cut a long story short and after speaking to my therapist she has told me that what I had last year wasn't CBT at all it was talking therapy? She then asked me whether I wanted some more sessions of "talking therapy" or I wanted to go for the CBT which was a lot more intensive and a bit of a longer wait. I said that as I'd already had talking therapy and was back to square one I felt it would be more beneficial to have CBT and I was more than happy to wait as I'd been dealing with HA for years so a few more months wouldn't make any difference.

I've now had a call from her this morning to say she spoke to her manager who feels I would benefit from more talking therapy and that's the way they'd like to go and how did I feel. I've said I feel that it won't make a lot of difference as it didn't work last time.

Anyway that's where they are going so I have to go back through the same thing again.

I understand it all comes down to cost but surely it must cost the NHS more in the long run to keep sending me for something that doesn't work, especially as my GP said he wanted me to have CBT as it was useful for people dealing with all types of anxiety.

Don't know what to do, I don't want to not go as then they are going to say I'm not helping myself but in all honestly just feels like it will be a complete waste of their time and mine!

swgrl09
02-08-14, 14:06
That does sound really frustrating. Sometimes therapists who do "talk therapy" integrate CBT techniques and ideas into it. Maybe that's what you had? It's not officially a CBT program but the therapist works from a CBT perspective, if that makes any sense.

In either case it sounds like they aren't being very clear with you, which isn't fair as it's your treatment and your life to live. Could you go back to your GP and explain what happened and your concerns?

Munchlet
02-08-14, 15:43
Thanks for the reply swgrl09 I've actually got a doctors appt on Monday, it's to discuss the meds I'm currently on for my HA so figure it won't do any harm to mention it then and see what she says.

I just feel it will be wasting both our times to go through the whole process again, although I did think I would just go to the first session and if I feel it's going exactly the same way as last time then just be truthful and say I don't feel happy and have little confidence in it actually working.

Will update after GP appt on Monday.

swgrl09
02-08-14, 16:14
That's a good idea. You never know, maybe it will be different. And if not, then at least you gave it a chance and can then request true CBT. Good luck!

Fishmanpa
02-08-14, 16:28
I just feel it will be wasting both our times to go through the whole process again, although I did think I would just go to the first session and if I feel it's going exactly the same way as last time then just be truthful and say I don't feel happy and have little confidence in it actually working.

“Failure is simply an opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.”
― Henry Ford

Therapy, whether it's one on one, talk, intense psychotherapy, CBT etc., is successful or not depending on the individual. When I had one on one for depression after my 1st heart attack and surgery, my therapist integrated exercises that in retrospect were much like CBT, into the sessions. I was given homework to do that challenged my mindsets and exercises that challenged me mentally and physically (like go for a walk when it was the last thing I wanted to do, keep a journal etc.). To go into this again with the mindset above will most certainly yield the same results.

Positive thoughts