PDA

View Full Version : Todays a right off

AdamG
02-08-14, 11:14
Hey everyone. I would like to say first of all how thankful I am to have found this website recently.

I was supposed to be going out with friends today but started having really hectic panic symptoms this morning. They kind of understood and didnt put more pressure on me to go out.

I have now locked myself in my bedroom and have resigned myself to a day of misery.

My question is should I be coping like this? Should I be going out when I feel like this or is it the right thing to do to lock myself away?

Thanks

spuder
02-08-14, 11:18
R u on meds for your panic Hun I would see your doctor and talk to them don't be too hard on yourself big hugs :hugs:

Oosh
02-08-14, 11:32
I can relate a lot. I've had social anxiety forever.

Avoidance is definitely achieving nothing really. It brings safety but is that what you want every day,week, month, year until you're old ?
Not much of a life is it. Not much of a life because it's the being out and around people that is the enjoyable bit. Without it it's no life.

Saying that, I do it too. I always have. I just don't really enjoy going out in groups etc I prefer one on one.

I think the answers somewhere in the middle.
You've pulled out today. That doesn't mean you have to have a depressing day.
Use it to be moderately productive. Do two or three small things that will make tomorrow/this week a bit better than yesterday. What annoyed you this past week ?
Use an hour or two today to fix it so this week you can say "ah I'm glad I sorted this."

You can still get out amongst people even though you've pulled out.
So go for a walk, run, hike, swim. Something that will give you a runners high this evening so you enjoy your Saturday evening.

Do something you enjoy with the free time. Gaming, reading, sport.

What was wrong with today's get together ?
Too many people ?
Wrong destination ?
Or just your panicky feelings ?
Well the panicky feelings might be there again. And they may still be there if you stay in everyday and avoid. So how can you get out with your friends whilst feeling panicky next time. What scenario would make you feel most comfortable ?
Just you and one other, just you and a couple of friends you're comfortable with, a different place ?

I don't think it's healthy to avoid it forever. It's much harder when you want to go out but your friends have all gone. Being panicky and isolated is a lot worse.