PDA

View Full Version : Felt a flutter in my chest while bicycling today. I'm worried!

Junot
02-08-14, 17:27
Since I have anxiety/panic (going by what doctors say, though I don't trust them that much anymore), I fear doing physical exercise because many of the symptoms I have are in my chest - palpitations, tight chest and other strange things. Moreover, one of the first full-blown panic attacks I've experienced was while I was jogging (about 7 years ago). When I left home I was already feeling anxious (bloated stomach, kind of dizzy, etc.), but I tried to ignore it and I thought "this is just anxiety and that does not kill". Well, that didn't work. I started feeling my heart racing and pounding in a chaotic manner, I felt extremely lightheaded and I thought I was going to die. I called an ambulance and the rest is easy to guess. In the hospital they told me I suffer from anxiety/panic.

So, all this to say that I fear physical exercise, even though I do it. But it gets me anxious anyway because I can't get that episode (and others that were similar) out of my head. Even today, I felt a flutter in my chest while I was bicycling at home, along with lightheadedness. I tried to keep on but I had to stop it. I felt that if I had continued I would have passed out or died due to ventricular fibrillation. Last week I got my holter results, it accused five ectopic beats, one of which was ventricular. My cardiologist told me these ectopics were benign and didn't need treatment but, to reassure me, he told me to do a treadmill stress test. I'll do it this tuesday and I'm getting really scared. I'm afraid that it accuses ectopic beats or any other kind of arrhythmias or that I experience a ventricular tachycardia leading to a fatal ventricular fibrillation. They even have a defibrillator in the room, just in case. That gets me even more anxious. Simply put: I HATE arrhythmias! They're my worst nightmare. I remember that the first two holters I did (about 5 and 6 years ago) were both perfect: no arrhythmias! But since then it seems that my anxiety/panic is affecting my heart... The third holter accused 2 supraventricular ectopics, the fourth accused 2 supraventricular and 1 ventricular and the last one (last month) accused 5 supraventricular and 1 ventricular. I HATE THIS!!!

Now I'm going to do another treadmill stress test (it's not the first one, the others were OK) and I'm afraid of doing it (as explained above) and I'm afraid that it might accuse as well one of these damn ectopics, but induced by exertion! This would mean that my heart is deteriorating due to anxiety/stress and I'm only 29 years old. I just can't stand this heart symptoms anymore... I've had enough of this!

Have you ever experienced this or are you experiencing a similar situation? How do you cope with these damn ectopics while exercising? I'm tired of doctors, they only know to prescribe medicines and expect that they work, they don't reassure us, they seem cold and distant prescribing machines... At least that's the feeling I get whenever I see them.

Fishmanpa
02-08-14, 17:56
Thing is, our hearts are designed to beat without resting for a lifetime. The only thing that compromises the actual muscle is heart disease. Poor diet, smoking, sedentary lifestyle etc. are a few of the things that can lead to issues later in life. At 29, the chances of this being the case are very slim, especially in light of exams and tests.

Anxiety is known to produce the issues you're experiencing. It would appear that it's the place to focus your attention. A medical professional treats physical issues and when there are no physical issues, what does that leave? Have you looked into a way to treat your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

Junot
02-08-14, 18:12
Thing is, our hearts are designed to beat without resting for a lifetime. The only thing that compromises the actual muscle is heart disease. Poor diet, smoking, sedentary lifestyle etc. are a few of the things that can lead to issues later in life. At 29, the chances of this being the case are very slim, especially in light of exams and tests.

Anxiety is known to produce the issues you're experiencing. It would appear that it's the place to focus your attention. A medical professional treats physical issues and when there are no physical issues, what does that leave? Have you looked into a way to treat your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

Thanks for your reply. I've been on antidepressants and benzodiazepines since 2006. I did stop taking them (the AD) in April by my own will. I was fed up. I went from a slender to an overweight guy and my cholesterol levels went up. I've been on psychotherapy for some time as well but it didn't work. The sessions revolved always around the same subjects and questions about my life and that wasn't helping but making it worse. I think I will try CBT now... Hopefully it works. But as I've said on other threads, if the sources of my anxiety do not disappear (and that would mean to change my life, which is an almost impossible task at the moment) I won't get any far from where I am standing now. Well, at least I started to lose some of the weight antidepressants have put on me, but that at the expense of feeling more and more anxious. We'll see...