PDA

View Full Version : Back to sleepless nights!

valleybear
02-08-14, 18:53
I have now been on Mirt for over 2 months and am still doing well with no panic attacks or depression and minimal anxiety and obsessive thoughts
However one if the biggest reasons that I was put on it after Sertraline was that I had really bad insomnia. For the first 6weeks on Mirt the sleep was great...I was so pleased as I thought that I had turned a corner. However, that seems to have disappeared and, although I can get a good few hours undisturbed sleep it takes me hours to fall asleep! I am so upset by this and as I do have issues with side effects like swollen ankles and hair falling out, I am now wondering if it is worth carrying on with the Mirt.
I have, by the way, had absolutely no weight gain on this drug.
Any help will be so much appreciated
Hoping other friends here are still doing well😥
R

aprilmoon
02-08-14, 19:55
Hi Valleybear!
Sorry to hear that mirt isn't helping you as well as it did for sleep.
Your doctor ,or psyche may be able to give you a small ' add on' to help with sleep.
I take 5ml of Olanzapine at night with the mirt,and I'm out for the count within the hour.
Olanzapine is actually an anti psychotic, but is given in very small doses as this to help with anxiety,and is very effective.
Perhaps you could ask if it would be suitable for you?
I've been on them both like this for about 4 months now and together they are still very effective for me.
Good luck :)

hanshan
02-08-14, 20:19
Hi Valleybear,

Similar to what Aprilmoon said, I take mirtazapine and pregabalin. It's great to hear that you don't have weight issues with mirtazapine. The swollen ankles can be upsetting, but I don't think they are dangerous. Hair falling out - unfortunately I've had that naturally for some years, though it seems to have stabilised with a thin spot on top.

aprilmoon
02-08-14, 20:26
Has the flute arrived yet hanshan? :)

hanshan
02-08-14, 20:50
Hi Aprilmoon,

Yes I have it with me now. It's not at all loud. I can see why it was used for Zen breathing exercises - at the moment I'm just practising playing sustained notes for five seconds or so. If I seem to be getting along okay, I might look around at getting a teacher (or continue to try and teach myself).

aprilmoon
02-08-14, 20:59
It sounds like a good distraction from the day job!
Learning a new instrument is a magical experience,and wonderfully all consuming.
Good luck with it :)

keggsy
02-08-14, 21:23
What level of mirt u on valley bear?

I went back down to 15mg from being on 30 and 45 before.

15 does indeed seem to be the best for sleep as I'm a little better sleep wise than I have been.

Still got pregabalin to try if I need it at some point.

valleybear
02-08-14, 23:38
Thank you all for replying. I am just on 15mg mirt and after the nightmare that was Sertraline I suppose I shouldn't complain! I will try varying the time that I take it before bed and if no improvement will go back to doc .
Take care and thanks for the chat . Xx