PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new here.

DaveFTM
02-08-14, 19:27
Hi,

I've been suffering with what I've self diagnosed as general anxiety.

At the end of 2012, we (me and my wife) had a lightbulb moment with our poor finances, which were in a poor state, consolidated and moved on. Long story short, we have a 7 year plan (nearly two years in now) to steady the ship pay off debts and get on an even keel.

The process of consolidating nearly finished me off, as I convinced myself we would be turned down to refinance (we weren't) and immediately after this whole sorry affair, there was a massive restructure at work, and I convinced myself I'd lose my job (I didn't)

Now, I read the news looking for problems in my industry, and end up convincing myself I'm going to lose my job, I blow up the tiniest things, and try to predict the future.

Frankly I'm tired. I havent been to the GP, and I don't know if I can. It's almost like admitting this f****g thing has beaten me, and I constantly feel like crying. My chest hurts, my stomach is like a washing machine, and the worry of not being able to complete what we've put in place is crippling.

Tried lots of self help stuff, but it never really lasts.

anyway, hi.

aprilmoon
02-08-14, 19:45
Hi Dave
Welcome to NMP.
Going to your GP and asking for some help doesn't mean that anything has beaten you.
There's loads of people on here(including myself) that have taken some sort of med to help them through a bad patch. I think it would be a good idea to have a chat with your doc,and tell him how you feel,in much the same way as you have here,and see what he suggests. :)

Oosh
02-08-14, 19:58
Hiya Dave

Welcome to the site mate.

I know how you must be feeling. I was in a job i felt was a bit unique. I felt if it ended i would have to face my fears basically. God knows most people dont like change but i think least of all people with anxiety.

Thing is i was in this job i felt was so important to me but lived in a perpetual state of panic and anxiety worrying, trying to anticipate what might happen in the future.

I read a book called "who moved my cheese". Its about the problem in building your life around the cheese youve found (your job). It basically says to always have options.
If the worst happens while the others are protesting you just move to your new source of cheese that you had found.

I felt better thinking up options in case the worst happened. Options that i could be reasonably comfortable with.

"if it happens, its ok because i can do this or this or this".

That sort of anxiety is far from irrational. I think its a terrifying position to be in.
In a way its probably less stressful to leave the safe job that drives you mad with worry and be working in those less important options, than carrying on living in that agony always in fear of it coming to an end.

Anyway, the worst happened and it did come to an end. I got the phone call. My job had gone. I did one of the options and it was ok. It wasnt as bad as id always feared.

While youre in the job and have time, prepare yourself, give yourself options so if the worst happens youll be ok. Youll feel better with those things in place.

Lucinda07
02-08-14, 20:59
The last couple of years must have been terrible - so much stress. But you survived a reorganisation & are working hard to sort out your finances, so congratulate yourself! I would suggest not reading the news looking for problems in your industry - it wont help!
You have not been beaten by this situation, just need some support. So visit your GP who could offer meds/counselling. (Does your workplace offer any help at all?)
I wish you well.

MRS STRESS ED
02-08-14, 23:05
Hi Dave it does sound like anxiety

you need to go see your doctor because they can really help you ,also this site is a great help for you when I was at my lowest and no where to turn nmp saved me ,lets hope it can do the same for you ,Dave dont keep on suffering hun it will only get worse go get the help you need take care xx

DaveFTM
03-08-14, 07:43
I wasn't expecting so many thoughtful, heartfelt replies. Thank you so much. I need to embrace the help that's available, and go and see my GP don't i? Thank you folks.