PDA

View Full Version : Brain mri scan this afternoon - terrified!!!

Panickypea
03-08-14, 10:32
My doc referred me for an mri on Monday and the hospital called up and offered me the scan today (which scared me- why so quick?!)

I'm realllly nervous for the procedure but also for the results.
Also what if it takes them longer than the standard 20mins? I'll think there is something wrong :(

My sister had one and she said she got her results there and then. Anybody else had this?

So scared :(

.Poppy.
03-08-14, 14:20
The reason they got you in sooner is probably down to scheduling, nothing more. Maybe they had a spot open up and thought you'd want to get it over with, or they were more heavily booked on Monday than they wanted to be. It's not cause for concern :smile:

As for how long the procedure takes, that also isn't really indicative of whether the results are good or bad - it's just down to the technician and how long they take to do things. If the picture doesn't come out right, they may have to adjust and try again.

I haven't ever had my results immediately because they had to be sent to the doctor who then called me and told me what they saw, so if you don't get them right away, again, don't fear the worst.

I know MRIs are scary because the brain is so important and as HA sufferers, there are a million things that could go wrong with our brains at any given time, but relax. Look on the bright side: if everything is good and clear, you're totally healthy and can move on. Sometimes the procedure can be stressful for people, but I personally just close my eyes and meditate a bit and it's over before I know it.

Panickypea
03-08-14, 14:57
Thank you so much for your calming response. I will bear all of this in mind when I'm in the scanner!

Wish me luck :)

RaverNeko
04-08-14, 06:58
Good luck! I completely understand your fear about doing something like this, and I wish you all the best! :)

Panickypea
04-08-14, 08:23
Thank you RaverNeko! It wasn't half as bad as I was anticipating, and over in 10 mins.

Now just to wait for the results....

Take care x