PDA

View Full Version : Legally allowed to move desks?

Spikie
04-08-14, 10:02
I'm having issues where I am sat at work and need to move to another free desk. I expect my employer to object to this (though I'm just going to do it as I don't feel like having to explain why I want to move to them), but hopefully the fact I'll already be moved will mean they let me be.

But, is it something I am 'legally entitled' to do for the good of my health? I am suffering mental anguish which is affecting my work where I am sat. If I was in a draught I would move and cite health reasons, if it was in constant sun the same, so surely 'I am having mental issues sat here' should carry some weight?

Maybe I'm just venting a little... I'm sat next to someone who won't sit still and out of the corner of my eye it is becoming very annoying. I'm also sat facing 3 people, and I'd be happier facing none. There is a free desk I could move to, ok so there will be 'why has he done that's' but I'm sure I can make something up.

I'd rather face away from everyone and pretend I'm on my own.

lior
04-08-14, 10:08
Hey, I think it would be understandable if you said you were getting distracted, and since there is another free desk where there would be fewer distractions from others, you would be able to work harder and concentrate for longer.

If you feel weird about it, I would talk to your employer first - they probably won't say no - it would be control freakish of them to leave you somewhere where you are less able to focus.

AnxietyDJ
04-08-14, 12:10
As lior said, the best thing to do is just arrange to have a quick chat with your employer. Don't make a big deal out of it, but focus the move towards the good of your work and your company, which always helps grease the wheels so to speak ;)

As far as I am aware, the only way you could 'force' them to move you is if you had an official note from the doctor stating that you needed special requirements in order to continue working there. I am not 100% on this though, so please do not take my advice to be correct - obviously go ahead and consult with your GP if you need to.

It sounds like a reasonable thing from your point of view though and if it increases your productivity, I can't see why your employer wouldn't be happy for you to switch places :)

Oosh
04-08-14, 15:38
I'd just be honest. Arrange to see who is in charge and explain you can't concentrate and that people around you fidget and distract you.
Say you could be so much more productive if you could move desks.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the truth in this case.

Really complain, say it's affecting your work now. You don't have to mention anxiety etc. They won't want your work to suffer.

If they say no, let your work slide a bit over a period of time. If they mention it they'll know why it's happening and may well give it a rethink when you tell them you've already explained why your work is suffering.

MyNameIsTerry
05-08-14, 05:20
How is your relationship with your line manager? Are they open minded, approachable, etc?

If you have a reasonable manager it shouldn't be an issue. From the managers point of view they should be open to your request but they will also be thinking about any impacts of working relationships with your colleagues.

If you have no issue with how it could be perceived by them, and I don't want you to feel anxious about that because it's you that you are doing it for and not really because of anything they do (maybe aside from the fidgeting of one of them), but you need to see it from the managers viewpoint sometimes in order to influence them into doing what you want.

Just be honest and ask at first. Your employer has legal obligations regarding your health in the workplace, which may involve an occupational health team, but it's always best to resolve things without conflict if you can as some managers don't like things going above them if they haven't been approached first.

Who knows, maybe your manager doing this will avoid anyone feeling you don't want to sit with them, which is not what you are saying, but maybe perceived that way. A good manager may take it on the chin for you, I've been a staff manager in previous years and it's part of the job to know you will be unpopular at times so you can afford some bad feeling of your staff if helps another on an occasion like this.

Your relationship with your manager and what kind of person they are helps. If they are a pain in the backside, they may not be as easy to get help from.

A word of caution on letting your work slide, don't fall into a competency trap with it because it is easy for a manager to say "if you had an issue, why didn't you tell me". Like Oosh said, and make sure it's written or it could easily be denied later.