PDA

View Full Version : Feeling as if I a not breathing properly

Sprung
04-08-14, 20:52
Looking for reassurance yet again. Been down this path so many times. My logical brain says, its all ok you've been here before, it will pass.
My emotional brain is just screaming, not again.
I have been on a roller coaster ride of anxiety then depression, for the past 26 yrs. With at times years in between episodes. Once it returns though it feels as if it as never been away.

At the moment my concern is my breathing, I just feel as if I am not breathing properly. I am so aware of each breath, I feel as if I need to make sure I breathe in and out, if not I might just stop breathing.

I know logically that these feelings are all related to anxiety, but I have that horrible niggle that says, this time you might be wrong.

:scared15:

Oosh
05-08-14, 23:49
Hiya

I've had that breathing thing. I didn't feel I could breathe all the way in and get any relief.

Your breathing is automatic, I'm sure you know that. But it's hard to stop thinking about it. But it's also hard to concentrate on two things at once. So do you have a hobby you can throw yourself into, something like painting, where you can practice forgetting yourself and consequently forget your breathing allowing it to return to automatic.

Practicing like that may give you more control of it and definitely a bit of relief.

Paint.
Draw.
Learn guitar.
Knit.
Etc

Welcome to the site.

Sprung
07-08-14, 18:22
OOsh, Thank you.