PDA

View Full Version : HA and antidepressants

Beyonderz
04-08-14, 23:57
Hello all!
I am fed up with HA and like many of you, I am tired of making my family concerned about it (you know, they never understand). Anyways, previously I used medication for panic attacks. First for 6 months then for almost 2 years. Now I am panic free but this time my HA is back full speed. Which even makes me not believe the doctor's diagnosis (my recent worry) and then I say "OK, now I am doomed..."

Question: Can antidepressants be used to deal with HA? I know it is a stupid question but I never focused on the HA during my medication period. I sort of feel like I was free of it but I can never be sure. I used a sertraline medicine and I am ready to use it again if I need to.
I am so tired of this thing really. I want to do something about it. Today it is breast pain, tomorrow it will be another terminal disease worry for me. And it feels like it will never be OK.

Sorry, too long text. I would like to hear some success stories actually. Reading about symptoms on NMP/internet doesn't help much...

Thanks for reading.

klg1975
05-08-14, 12:04
Hi, I was on antidepressants for about 2 years and found it extremely beneficial for HA. It allowed me to be able to basically be calm enough to retrain my negative thoughts and really put things more in perspective. I have been off them now for nearly two years but know, that if I fall into the trap of severe HA, I can always go back on them ☺ perhaps first try other methods such as CBT...just don't be too hard on yourself if you feel the need to go back on them. You sound like you have done well in the past, you definitely can again xx

KeeKee
05-08-14, 12:34
I would say everybody is different. I was on antidepressants for almost 5 years when I got health anxiety. I was then switched to another and it made little difference.
I agree that CBT may be beneficial. As is this website for me.

Dolphin8808
05-08-14, 13:29
Oh yes they can truly help. I have been on zoloft and it has helped a lot. Remember, HA is closely related to OCD as well. Anti-depressants such as zoloft are also used to treat OCD.

While I still have HA, I do not want to increase my medication but what I am taking def helps to control it for me. It does take it down a notch so I am not so totally over the top. Its still there but nothing like it could be.

Therapy is also huge. Talking to someone who can teach you self help techniques :)

swgrl09
05-08-14, 18:10
I was on lexapro (escitalopram) for over a year - originally on it for depression - but my HA improved drastically during that time.

izzy'smum
05-08-14, 22:35
Hi, sorry you're feeling rotten and I know just how you feel. I was on fluoxetine for 2 years foe HA and just like a previous poster said it helped me get things straight and go through the cbt. I'm off now and had been incident free until the last couple of days but I'm dealing with it using the cbt techniques.
Good luck

Beyonderz
05-08-14, 23:34
Guys, thanks a lot for your encouraging replies. You are all cool cats...

Even though I have a recent health worry about breast/lung cancer as I am experiencing a type of annoying pain, I managed to calm myself a bit. I try my best thinking that it is noyhing serious because my pain is on and off, I am even free from pain for some days.

I decided to start meds and meanwhile I want to try a counterattack towards HA by leading an even more healthier life, like trying to strengthen my body and immune system. In order to do it, I need a calm mind. In this case, meds will help.

But yeah, I am still worried about this pain even though I saw dr. Trying to be strong. I hope you all feel worry free soon. We dont deserve this. I am wishing best for us all.