PDA

View Full Version : Do you trust your doctor?

puzzledlass
05-08-14, 06:18
Do you trust your doctor? It's something that many (if not all) health anxiety sufferers must have trouble doing.

They have years of years of medical school, years of practicing and well, pretty much have our lives in their hands! Yet we still find it hard to believe the doctor when they say "you're ok" or "I don't think you need these tests" etc.

I guess this is due to a lot of things, one being the ever constant "what if they missed something?" or "how would they know I am ok without testing?" and of course the "they don't take me seriously because they think I'm a hypochondriac, nuts, crazy etc"

For those reasons above I find it quite hard to trust when the doctor says that I am ok. I'm aware that she has so much training under her belt and knows more about medical stuff than I (or dr google for that matter) but I still find it hard to accept it when she says I am ok.

The most recent time when I went to see her as was concerned I had blood in stool, she explained that this could be due to the flu/diahhreha I had. I had seen her before about this and she ordered a FOBT which came back clear. Of course I am still worried. My fear is bowel cancer and I am convinced I have it. She seems to think I am ok and don't have it.

I guess I wonder how can she be so sure? How can I trust my doctor?

What do YOU do?

Fishmanpa
05-08-14, 07:53
I trust my doctors. What other choice do I/you have? You can accept what they say or get a 2nd opinion. In most if not all cases, the 2nd opinion correlates the first.

I had cancer. My GP followed protocol in diagnosing it. (antibiotics, scans, ENT, biopsy). I had a choice as to where I would go for treatment and I chose the best in the States to do so. I had a team of doctors that I put my trust in.

HA has a tendency to cause you to distrust doctors as your gut instinct is skewed and along with seeking 2nd opinions from Dr. Google, throws you into a complete psychosis when it comes to your health.

Unfortunately, what you describe is often seen on the boards. You can continue to chase a diagnosis or begin to treat the real illness.

Positive thoughts

luc
05-08-14, 08:27
"You can continue to chase a diagnosis or begin to treat the real illness.". One sentence that HA sufferers wishing to get better should use as a mantra!