PDA

View Full Version : Hi, everyone! I'm excited to be here.

ecw012
05-08-14, 07:12
Hi! My name is Liz. I am a 22 yo, normal height/weight/health female. I stumbled upon this great website while I was looking for some help with panic attacks and health anxiety.

I started developing anxiety when I was about 18, and have been working through it (mostly positively) since then. I just had a wisdom tooth extraction, however, and it triggered a number of panic attacks and anxieties about medicine, disease, death, etc.

Prior to me joining the site this evening, I had a full-blown panic attack about having an allergic reaction to amoxicillin. Logically, it makes no sense - it is my last pill, and I've had no problems in the past week with it. I was also fine until (3 hours after taking the pill) I noticed some very slight, small, barely-there, rashes on my chest. So ensued some abdominal cramping, and then a Google-search which resulted in my pouring over pages about anaphylactic shock and having a total meltdown.

I just graduated college, am moving to pursue my Masters and am, as any normal 22 (or otherwise) year old, am overwhelmed by the future and whatnot. As much as I can tell myself that, however, and reason out every fear and phobia as best I can, I'm still struggling to deal with my anxiety and feel like the past few weeks have definitely been a setback in terms of positive progress.

Thus, I figured I would ask the advice of you all - it seems that panic and anxiety might be a lifelong problem for me ... how do you all handle it? What do you all do to combat your anxiety, especially on the days where it slips out of your control?

Apologies for the length of the post - I'm really happy I stumbled upon this site.
Thank you, and nice to meet everyone!

aprilmoon
05-08-14, 07:59
Hi Liz
Welcome to NMP :welcome:

SADnomore
06-08-14, 05:29
Welcome, Liz to our ragtag tribe, lol! :D If it helps, generally as I've got older and have learned more (especially on here!) about anxiety symptoms, it has become easier to think of them as just that: symptoms arising from anxiety, nothing serious. I do wish I'd known about derealization and depersonalization when I was a teenager. I thought I was the only one who had these episodes! They eventually left. Distraction helps so much! Staying busy of course, but things like movies or books that I can really get into help me take my mind off things for a good while. Often the imagery of a movie with a beautiful "backdrop" draws me in, even the 3D kids movies are fun and lively enough to change my mood entirely. And I have a good imagination and tend to visualize a lot as I read. When I get up to fix a snack, or get home from the movie, I allow my mind to stay "unengaged". Try to just be a human, "being". Not thinking or planning, just being okay. I've seen some people mention that they will take a moment like that and hold it up to their mind and say "I'm okay. Everything is all right." We rarely do that. But I think it's good to validate that truth of our usual day to day life. :flowers: Yoga too. Yoga and meditation are so good. I find the teacher-led classes most helpful for me. Some of us have gotten the "beads" from an acupuncturist that are stuck (no needles) onto pressure points in the ear that we can use to "ground" ourselves in the here and now, which reduces anxiety.
Good to have you with us, do feel free to "take what you need, and leave the rest"! :winks:
Marie xx