PDA

View Full Version : New user of Citalopram.....struggling!

PJW57
05-08-14, 09:28
Hi all
I started with anxiety attacks in May this year.
I've never had anything really as bad as this before....only thing I can liken it to a little is when I had post natal depression ...but that was 30 years ago!!!
I did suffer mild (ish) depression a couple of years ago when my mum passed away but this is VERY different and has crept up on me from nowhere and smacked me over the head!
I am currently on week 7 of 20 mg of citalopram and after an initial bumpy couple of weeks of side effects have...for the last 4 weeks been feeling much calmer and happier and much more 'me' .....till 2 days ago!!.....then wham!...back to waking up at 5 feeling jittery and sobbing till my throat hurts and my eyes sting
I was like this at the beginning of my taking of Cit for 2 whole weeks I literally shook like a jelly and sobbed every morning...it was torture
So....when I started again with waking and feeling the familiar angst...and then proceeded to sob I was and am distraught after feeling so well for all those weeks I feel like I have slipped right back to square one?!:scared10
I'm praying this is just a blip and happier times will indeed be back again soon?
I find reading about others experiences on here comforting that I am by far the only one having a struggle
May I wish each and every one of you well very soon x

mark84
05-08-14, 13:48
If it continues you might need to talk to the doctor about a bit of a dosage increase, but hopefully it'll pass, let us know :)

islandtimer
05-08-14, 23:52
When I started taking Citalopram it was a very bumpy ride for the first couple of weeks. After about a month I started having longer periods of good days than bad. I started to feel like myself again. Then I fell into my first big blip and thought my medication had stopped working. I almost got a med. increase during this blip but luckily rode it out till it was over and I started to feel better again. I didnt feel like the medication fully kicked in till about three months after starting. Blips will always come and go but the longer you are on the medication the better you will feel. This medication is tough to get on but does work well with time. Hope this helps you feel better.

PJW57
06-08-14, 13:32
Thank you for your replies ....and support both are much appreciated and are comforting!:)
I am feeling calmer today....still a bit of a jittery tum but no tears yet which is a relief:yesyes:
Like you have said I suppose blips happen and something ....prob just the tummy upset .....has triggered the anxiety again and set me back ?!
It just felt so disappointing after having felt so much better for the weeks before
I will keep doing what I've been doing and hopefully the good days will be back and this time stay :emot-pray:
:hugs:
Hope all is going well with you both
Pamela x

Sober2000june
06-08-14, 20:04
Keep on going Pamela,

Paul:hugs: