PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety paralysis?

lior
05-08-14, 13:05
Hey everyone - do you ever get anxiety paralysis, where you can't do anything productive? You end up freezing and not being able to decide what to do at all?

How do you deal with this? I can't get started on what I'm meant to be doing.

Sunflower2
05-08-14, 13:39
Yes. You just can't think for worrying so much and can't function normally at all? It's annoying I get that now and then! I just let it pass as it always does and then try not dwell on it. I think the key is try to not get into such deep worrying thoughts that you just can't stop.
For getting out of it - pick one thing and just do it, even if you don't want to. Just get your mind distracted onto something else initially.

lior
05-08-14, 15:11
I managed to get up and move somewhere else. But I'm still having it somewhat. Bit panicky. I'm taking deep breaths but the people around me must think I'm mad. No more coffee for me... feel so freaked out. Everything is wrong! I panic cry when I go to the loo!

Wish the NHS therapy people would get back to me with my first appointment date...

koala
05-08-14, 15:25
I get this too. Wish I could tell you how to deal with it but unfortunately i don't know how to.

Rennie1989
05-08-14, 15:46
Is it officially called anxiety paralysis? Never heard that before.

The solution, granted it being easier said than done, is to get up and move. I had it yesterday after a challenging day at work where I wanted to lie on the couch all evening. I got up, did some housework, drew some stuff and tidied.

lior
05-08-14, 17:35
No I made up anxiety paralysis. Did some googling and 'anxiety paralysis' can be a set of physical symptoms, as well as feeling unable to move on with your life.

In my case it's more like being unable to move because of indecision. A bit more like this:
http://www.wecansorelate.com/good-thinking/indecision-paralysis-why-are-easy-choices-difficult/

Also the things I have to do involve looking at the computer screen - reading and writing. I'm not really meant to get up and move. I need to apply for jobs and look at spare rooms online. Getting up is not a permanent solution. I need to do particular things.

I have managed to apply for a job now, getting started was the hardest part.

Now I'm having trouble getting started on the next thing :(

Rennie1989
05-08-14, 18:20
I am a writer and I cannot sit and stare at a screen for anything longer than 3 hours (I've done longer) without my eyes going funny and my back-side hurting. It is actually bad for your health to not take a break from the computer. You should be taking a break every hour or so by getting up and having a walk (even if it's to the toilet or to make a drink, at the very least).

Zoecat
05-08-14, 22:30
Hi, yes I've had/have that. Indecisiveness has been a long-standing symptom of my anxiety. Can be an absolute nightmare sometimes, and if I'm so stuck on a decision, I end up not making one (not saying that's the best approach!); or I have bent other people's ears, trying to figure out what to do; which also doesn't always help. Pro's and con's list might help a bit. Counselling might help. It's normally the really big, life changing decisions which I struggle with the most. Though I also struggle with smaller, everyday decisions, but they don't paralyse me, just delay and frustrate me! The best way to deal with it would depend on the decision - eg. is it life-changing or not. Also, sometimes I've been trying to make decisions, as I've been forecasting into the future too much, and it paralyses me in the present, stopping me doing what I need to do now; which won't help my future; so I try to focus on the present more.

lior
06-08-14, 00:32
The stuff I get stuck on is pretty basic... let alone the bigger stuff. For example I can't decide whether to look at emails or finish the bit of work I'm doing. I try to do both at once, then get overwhelmed, then end up jabbing my head feeling crazy and overloaded.