PDA

View Full Version : Occupational health - new job

binky
05-08-14, 16:23
Hi all,
i've just been offered a new job after taking voluntary redundancy from my current job, i'm now stressing over occupational health and what I'm expected to tell them and what happens if I'm honest with whats going on with my depression and anxiety and that I'm taking medication for it and if that will affect the informal offer.

Have any of you had any dealings with this, just after some advice really on what to do and say once i get the form or speak to occupational health.

Thanks,

Binky

Rennie1989
05-08-14, 16:36
I told occy health that I have depression and anxiety. They asked a few questions, like they would, and were happy that I was happy. Even if you're on medication they will be fine. As long as you're not seriously unwell (i.e. unable to get out of bed with depression or having daily panic attacks) they may want to assess you more.

binky
05-08-14, 16:44
Thanks, I'm still able to attend work although I am struggling to do so at the moment and i'm hoping by the time i start my new job i will be feeling a lot better as I have just started taking my anti-depressents a week ago so know that they take time to work. it's just scary when its a new job as you want them to think your brilliant and they couldn't have picked a better person etc.

MyNameIsTerry
06-08-14, 03:40
Have you got to disclose your condition and treatment in your application? Or is it an occupational health form they have asked you to fill in after starting?

They have to be very careful if they have offered you the job to avoid discrimination as these conditions are covered under within the law thesedays. So, at the interview stage it is easy to do it and give another excuse but once employed they would need to determine that you could not perform the role or it would be damaging to your health.

I'm not an expert by a long way, it's just how I understood the position from my last company.

You could look at your legal cover, do some Google searches, look at the CAB site, etc.

You should be disclosing issues like this if they ask about it e.g. you are given a form asking about medical conditions & medication, treatments, etc or the employer could be given grounds that you have not been truthful. So, check it out first. There are forums with HR people in so you could pose it there for their opinions, maybe?

Occupational health staff are usually very helpful & understanding...many have been nurses or doctors, some still are. The issue tends to lie more with managers who may be ignornant of mental health issues and some managers just want plain sailing & no hassle.

Good luck with the new job, but above all, do what you need to to get better!

binky
07-08-14, 15:58
Thanks for replying. I've not received the form yet but I am anticipating there being a section where I have to declare it. They have provisionally offered me the job so just doing all the references and checks etc before my start date is set. Hoping that occupational health will be on about it all and by the time I start I should be feeling a lot better as the tablets should be doing their magic.

MyNameIsTerry
08-08-14, 02:26
If they have offered it provisionally, it could be subject to you meeting certain other conditions such as from your reference checks, check for convictions, etc. These conditions are covered by discrimination laws these days so they would have to prove that you would not be suitable or the job could impact your health really. You can dispute these if they claim them but it's not an ideal starting point. An unscrupulous employer may make up an excuse and try it on to see if you challenge it.

Before provisionally offering any job, discrimination is easy...if someones too old, say there is a better applicant and they will never know they have been discriminated against. Such breaches in laws are very difficult to prove and enforce.

The fact they see you as the right person, so it looks good.

Just be honest, I would say. You could not mention it in the forms but you take a chance that they could find out and argue that you mislead them and take action, etc.

Anti depressants can help, but they don't cure. If you find yourself cured after you come off them, it's because you have cured yourself through your actions and they just gave you a foundation to start taking those actions. My advice would be to invest in that now by getting any help you need, loom at relaxation techniques, Mindfulness meditation, etc. They will help you get better and even if you are not better by the time you want, they will help you to get better faster as you will have already put the effort in with these techniques (not saying you are not already, it's just that things like Mindfulness are long term solutions and can take some people months to see real benefit from)