PDA

View Full Version : Ebola?

Em.ma
05-08-14, 21:21
I have just heard British airways have suspended flights to two affected countries does this mean we have reason to start worrying about it hitting British shores?

Annie0904
05-08-14, 21:29
No...there is no reason at all to start worrying :)

graham58
05-08-14, 21:36
There's a good article in the Guardian today, about how the media is hyping up the risks of Ebola and we're very unlikely to get sick from it;

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/05/ebola-worrying-disease

UKmamainUS
05-08-14, 22:03
They have suspended flights - that means the flights wont be going there, ergo there is no chance of the virus being carried back on their flights. It doesn't mean it's here already. They are taking precautions.

Fishmanpa
06-08-14, 20:01
There's a good article in the Guardian today, about how the media is hyping up the risks of Ebola and we're very unlikely to get sick from it;

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/05/ebola-worrying-disease

This line says it all...

"Ebola has become the stuff of hypochondriacs’ nightmares across the world."

And that's all it is... a nightmare. And I don't imagine anyone eats fruit bats imported from Africa ;)

Positive thoughts

swgrl09
06-08-14, 21:03
Just precautions. Everybody in the US that has been tested (apart from those two aid workers) has turned up negative. Really nothing to worry about - coming from a hypochondriac myself :)

*Fallen Angel*
07-08-14, 09:31
That's a really good article, thanks for posting Graham.

Em.ma
11-08-14, 20:09
Thanks guys probably got more chance of being struck by lighting haha

Alice1
14-08-14, 21:06
Also, just to add some more reassurance (although much sadness as well) is that ebola cannot be treated or contained well in africa because of the lack of money they have. More people die of malaria every day than ebola in over 10 years.
You get it be sharing bodily fluids, it's not air bourne, so it's not really a big deal at all in terms of 'deadly diseases omg lets panic' in americas/ europe etc, what the real problem is is the terrible conditions millions of people have to live in in africa that makes this a 'deadly disease omg lets panic' a reality for them.
Every time I start to worry that I might have ebola somehow, I pause and try and correct myself, thinking about these poor people in Africa and how ebola is just the tip of the iceberg of their struggles.
Best wishes.

Tessar
14-08-14, 21:59
Annie is right Emma. No worries, no point even going there.

Annie0904
14-08-14, 22:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9EE0_gd8OA

Em.ma
23-08-14, 21:33
Has anyone seen the two usa patients that are well again?
Theirs more to this than their letting on . It's funny how two Americans can recover.
Annie good video :)

Annie0904
23-08-14, 21:41
In Africa they don't have the resources that we and USA have to isolate and treat people so they are less likely to recover. It is not so serious for us.

Brunette
24-08-14, 10:59
The reason they survived is that they were given an experimental new drug that isn't licensed for use and doesn't exist in enough quantities to treat more than a few people.

They were able to do this because Ebola has a 90% mortality rate therefore the doctors have nothing to lose by using it.

This is good news because it looks like it works - therefore chances are they'll be able to produce more, get a license and save more people eventually.

Then everyone can stop worrying about it.

paul78
24-08-14, 11:34
Why not america helping african people who are cought by this deadly virus.bcz it may be next destination of ebola bcz many africans are come to usa by differant reasons. Who know they will carry this virus with them to other countrys.

Brunette
24-08-14, 14:36
Because the drugs have only been developed and haven't been fully tested, they are in such short supply that they are already on the point of running out

Of course the USA is going to rescue and treat it own citizens first - if your country had developed the treatment it would be doing the same.

paul78
25-08-14, 06:53
I don't know my country has developed this drug. But i think its fare to helping developing people than spent money to war wepons to kill innocent people(as i think).

Brunette
25-08-14, 18:14
I think you're missing the point by quite a wide margin there Paul.

Serenity1990
25-08-14, 19:45
We don't have Ebola in the West. You might as well have a good old panic about bubonic plague, you've just as much chance of contracting it.