PDA

View Full Version : dry cough at night that won't go away

burg3r
06-08-14, 04:38
Had a cough that started two weeks ago and it was really bad it's cleared up mostly except at night and it's dry and irritating i was coughing up phlegm but now its getting worrying because i am starting to think it is lung cancer. I am trying to tell myself it's nothing but I am very wound up if it's not gone by the three week mark I will be going to the doctors but I can't sleep due to worry I did used to smoke and only recently quit.

Junot
06-08-14, 12:07
Does it get better if you lift up your chest and head a bit, using pillows? Cough at night can be many things but it depends on your medical history, age, medications... I don't mean to scare you, but it's usually a symptom of congestive heart failure. So if I were you I'd check it with a doctor asap.

Fishmanpa
06-08-14, 13:06
I don't mean to scare you, but it's usually a symptom of congestive heart failure. So if I were you I'd check it with a doctor asap.

I'm not a doctor but I have heart disease. In this instance, based on the fact that the OP had a cough and was bringing up phlegm (which has now resolved), it would indicate a remnant from the original infection/issue. A persistent cough with no other symptoms is only ONE of several symptoms that would indicate heart disease. Also, keep in mind that "congestive heart failure" most typically affects those later in life (60's).

I agree in having a medical professional check it out but I disagree that it's an urgent matter indicating heart disease.

Positive thoughts

Cags48
06-08-14, 14:40
I had a terrible night time cough for a while it turned out to be side effect of Ramipril tablets ,