PDA

View Full Version : Hi all, had a difficult year.

Woody0111
07-08-14, 10:04
Hi everyone,

I'm Ben and for the last year I've had an on again off again battle with health anxiety.

It all started 2 years ago when my eldest daughter was born. There were quite a few complications and, unfortunately, she suffered a brain hemorrhage, on top of that her general condition was getting worst and she was circling the drain and no one could figure out why. After being moved to another childrens hospital it was discovered that she had leukaemia. We had a terrible first year with her. Full of chemotherapy, operations and various appointments but at one years old she was declared in remission. My wife and I were so relieved. She has now grown into a beautiful, bubbly, happy little girl and we couldn't be prouder. She still has issues as the brain hemorrhage has effected development and may well do so for the rest of her life but this is a small price to pay for her being with us.

The problem is that ever since she came home I have developed health anxiety. I am constantly worried about myself, my wife and my little girls getting sick. I have started having panic attacks (though these are less frequent now) and tend to be incredibly intune with any changes that happen in my body and tend to blow everything out of proportion. It can be a real problem and although I try not to let it effect my day to day life it inevitably does. It can cause a bit of a rift between my wife and I which I understand. She has, of course, had a horrible couple of years too.

It isn't every day. I'm sat typing this up in McDonald's and I feel fine. But when it does happen it can be hard to snap out of it. I'm just so afraid of getting ill and leaving my girls.

I'm sorry for the long story but it's a hard thing to tell in a few words. I could go on forever lol.

I don't take any meds and am currently on a waiting list for a CBT lessons.
Let's hope they help. Talking of CBT I'm reading the NHS recommended "overcoming health anxiety" by Rob Willson book and was wondering if anyone knew where I could get the worksheets from. Save me time typing them all up!

For those that managed to get to the end of my rant, thanks for reading. For those that didn't, I can't blame you!

Ben

P.s I should probably mention that 5 months ago my wife had a perfectly healthy baby girl who is wonderful and, I think, has eased some of our worries. We were a bag of nerves during the pregnancy though!

Magic
07-08-14, 12:25
Sorry Woody I don't know anything about self help books.
I was wondering if there is a Library near you . I find them vey helpful and also
If you look thing thinks up on their computers you can get print outs. or photo copies
Sorry I could not be of more help. Perhaps you will get more help from other members. Sending you best wishes:hugs:

Thesleepycrow
07-08-14, 15:54
Hi Ben
Welcome :)

CBT will help you. I have found it really beneficial to talk about my worrys & emotions via CBT. I completed an online course last year via my CBT contact. The website was called beatingtheblues. Your CBT advisor should provide you with a password.
You have been through a really stressful time - being a new parent isn't easy and you have had a lot to worry about with your firstborn's illness. I am pleased to hear that your girls are both very healthy.

Some people go for medication & CBT together - it's something you need to think about. I have just started on citalopram for crippling anxiety - the first few weeks of medication have been tough but it will get easier. I'm expecting to stay on citalopram for 6 months & hopefully by then, my coping mechanisms & CBT knowledge should put on on the right track.

Have a look at mind.org.uk for information as well.

Take one day at a time, keep a diary to capture your worries and also to capture your achievements & successes. When we are plagued by negative thoughts, it is hard to remember the good stuff in the day. Use the diary as specific 'worry time' & try to only spend that part of your day worrying about everything - the diary can help with a bit of practice - it is one of the tips that I have learnt through CBT.

Enjoy those little children - they grow up really fast & by the time they are 9 they'll be demanding the latest nintendo Xl player and a pokemon game!

Sleepy crow :)

---------- Post added at 15:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:54 ----------

Hi Ben
There are a lot of great books available for anxiety sufferers.
Check out:
Mindfulness: a practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world by Prof Mark Williams. You can browse through the index of the book if you look at it via Amazon books. The author recommends a 1 minute breathing exercise every day.
Hope this helps

Sleepy crow