PDA

View Full Version : Getting Better - in response to Is This Normal?

spatial awareness
13-08-04, 15:29
I found this story I heard so inspiring that I thought I would start a new thread...

I work with homeless people, and have been working with a hostel that rehouses people with medium to high mental health needs. Basically, people who have come out of hostpital after a section.

The worker I met was an amazing guy - he had been abused as a kid, and suffered badly. He was diagnosed with schizophrenia, manic depression and borderline personality disorder. He was sectioned. For years, he wanted to be ill. He was given everything he needed, looked after, told what to do and how to do it. The thought of the outside world, reality was too scary for him. But with a lot of time, he got through.

Now he's married, has kids, is off all his medication, and works as a support worker with people with serious mental health issues. Amazing...

Its not strange to fear "getting better", but it must be a good thing...You get used to living a certain way, but sometimes, the grass is REALLY greener...

tara
13-08-04, 15:34
What a lovely stroy, theres hope for us all then. Many people who have "disorders" and "Illnesses" find themselves in jobs which are "caring" and "helpful" professions, it's a kind of . the more you help others and care for them , you also help, care and heal yourself in the process. Tara .

Laurie28
13-08-04, 15:35
Hiya,

That is an inspiring story.

And one with such a happy ending..

It just goes to show, no matter how 'bad' you are with these 'conditions' with the right kind of help and some blimming hard work you can get there

Take Care
Lucky

Merlinssister
13-08-04, 16:14
What a great story. Thanks for sharing.

stimpy
15-08-04, 02:08
What a great story!

He's come through with flying colours, after everything that has happened to him.

What a great inspiration to us all.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'