PDA

View Full Version : Heart Testing - How long are we good for?

Brackett
07-08-14, 22:54
Hey All,

So - ever since being diagnosed with Celiac Disease my health anxiety has calmed considerably. Mostly because I finally found some answers, SOME relief from symptoms and didn't feel crazy (and more importantly, wasn't being treated as such).

Fast forward to yesterday - I have not been sleeping well and thought something might be up but chose not to focus too heavily on it. Felt worse throughout the day and then checked my BP (part of a routine as per my docs request as I have been trying to lose weight is an effort the bring it into normal ranges). This have been successful, BP average is usually about 130/85. Much better than it was. But yesterday, my heart rate was 58. Usually 78. I thought maybe I was tired or something, so left it alone. Wasn't feeling better and checked again - down to 56.

This was enough to get me to go to the clinic, where to my surprise, he said my heart rate was actually fast - about 90 - and that the rhythm was unusual. Slow, then fast, then slow, then fast.

I explained to him that within the past 12-15 months I had a full heart workup including EKG, Stress Test and 24 Monitor to wear at home. All fine. Same deal about 3 years earlier. Also all fine.

He still ordered an EKG (no results yet).

But I'm wondering if after two full workups in a 5 year or less span-with nothing wrong, aren't I ok? How long are these tests good for? How quickly can things change?

When I got home from my appointment, I sat for a half hour and checked my stats again myself. 125/85, 75bpm. Awesome. But, after months of feeling great and not letting anxiety get the better of me, it's back pretty hardcore.

Just in case anyone is wondering: 31 yr old male, 6"4, 295pds.
Non-smoker. Casual drinker. (This is beginning to sound like the worlds worst dating profile). Do occasionally use Klonopin 5 mg (once every couple of weeks maybe) and smoke a joint a week.

Again - main question is: are my heart tests (one a year or so ago and the other about four years ago) still good records of my heart health or could something have changed? Blood work all normal too, as of 4 months ago.

UKmamainUS
08-08-14, 19:49
Stop checking your own stats - really, every time you do it you will get a different answer! Heart rates vary, between the same person over the course of a day even. And I have to say, gluten really is the devil. I was not found to be celiac in testing but I am pretty sure I am, and when they took my blood to test I had been off gluten for about 3 weeks anyway. Gluten (along with dairy) counts for so many of my symptoms as well as my depression. I think if you just let go of monitoring your own stats, stay off the gluten (and maybe also dairy for a while, because a lot of celiacs develop dairy intolerance whilst on gluten that will eventually go away once you give the gluten up)

Dolphin8808
08-08-14, 19:56
My doc claims that we do not even need them until we hit 50s. But the tests we do have are good for typically at least 5 years.

And don't keep checking. You may have been nervous and didn't even realize it when you saw your doc. And EKG is not a big thing. Ive had so many of those. Every time I go to see my cardio I get one done. That is just to make sure the electrical system of the heart is running properly and there is nothing odd.