PDA

View Full Version : Excess of albumin in my urine... Worried!

Junot
08-08-14, 13:12
Hello everyone,

I have an appointment with my GP in a week and a few days but I got this result today and it's really worrying me.

My urine sample (first urine in the morning) had 47.70 mg/L of albumin (it shouldn't have more than 19 mg/L according to the lab reference range).
I'm wondering why are my kidneys allowing this amount of albumin to flow into my urine... Usually this means that the kidneys are being damaged amd it's commonly found in diabetic and hypertensive persons. I'm neither of that. Actually my tests for diabetes came back just fine:
- Glycemia: 88 mg/dl (reference range: 70-110)
- Glycated hemoglobin: 5.0% (reference range: 4.3-6.1)

What's the most interesting - and inconsistent at the same time I guess - is that my blood creatinine is within normal range: 1.04 mg/dL (reference range: 0.80-1.30). If my kidneys were really malfunctioning, I should have a higher level of blood creatinine, shouldn't I?

Have any of you ever experienced a similar situation? I'm trying to find out an explanation to the higher than normal albumin levels in my urine and its inconsistency with my blood creatinine levels.

Junot
08-08-14, 20:08
Does anyone have an idea over this? I've been researching and apparently a positive test for microalbuminuria is indicative of renal function impairment in it's very early stages as a complication of untreated or badly-managed hypertension or diabetes. According to what I've read, microalbuminuria (small amounts of blood protein albumin in urine) is a more sensitive marker than blood creatinine. But I don't have any of those two conditions. Could this be just a false positive? Or perhaps due to the exercise and diet I've been doing lately?

Junot
09-08-14, 21:28
I am sorry to bump this again, I acknowledge that perhaps only health professionals are able to give me an accurate answer on this specific subject of microalbuminuria.

So, I'd just like to have your opinion on the following: should I request an urgent appointment with my GP due to my concerns over this or should I wait until the scheduled appointment (on August 20th)? What would you do?

If this is really a marker of kidney disease in its very early stages, it won't progress in a week and a few days - only my concerns will.

Cags48
09-08-14, 21:34
Kidney infection I had protein and white blood cells in my urine and it was like cloudy lemonade gave me antibiotics....... Oh and in my bloods was low ferritin and low vitamin D

bluetopazgirl
09-08-14, 21:35
I am probably totally wrong here and I am sorry if I am, I am 27 and have kidney disease and ill be honest my consultant hasn't mentioned this before to me. I have a trace of protein in my urine all time and have done now a good 10years. hes only ever mentioned to me that I have 50%-60% kidney function from blood tests. sorry not much help, didn't want to read and leave esp as i have kidney disease x

Junot
09-08-14, 22:15
Thank you both for your helpful replies.

Cags48, unfortunately the doctor only required a protein detection to be performed in my urine. As such, the lab didn't test it for white and red blood cells. It's kind of stupid that the doctor didn't require those additional tests as well. However, my urine is clear. Anyway, I suspect they will refer me for those tests after seeing this result, just to rule out an infection.

bluetopazgirl, yes, I think I'm in the very early stages of it, going by the result of this test, unless it is a false positive. I hope it's a false positive, but in the meanwhile I've read that patients with chronic kidney disease are able to control the disease progression by following a strict diet and exercise program - and thus to avoid such stages where hemodyalisis or kidney transplant are absolutely required. By the way, I'm 29.