PDA

View Full Version : Lymph node bigger

kirstynic
08-08-14, 15:20
I noticed a hard fixed node on the bone bit behind my ear. Went doctors yesterday who is doing blood tests. I have felt it today and sure it has got bigger!! I am really scared now.

I also have generalised itching mainly worse around my scalp.

The node is rock hard and does not move or hurt!

Key characteristics of a cancerous node. I am scared it could be lymphoma. Why has it got bigger since yesterday? It is not my mind playing tricks it is bigger.

This with the itchiness and the fact I had a temperature at the doctors is really scaring me! Doctor said I should go back if it grows but feel silly going back a day later! Don't think I would get an appointment anyway.

Had anyone had similar? Also the peak age for lymphoma is 15-29 I am 28 so another thing that makes me scared. Doctor also wouldn't rule out lymphoma! So he must have been concerned about the feel of the node otherwise would have said it doesn't feel like a typical cancerous node.

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

I have also looked in the mirror and you can see the node as a visible hard lump around 2cm big

UKmamainUS
08-08-14, 19:43
Did the doctor say it was definitely a node? Try (and trust me, I know it is hard) not to touch it for at least a week. Right now you only think it has gotten bigger - in a week of not touching it you will know for sure. Also, remember Lymphoma has a VERY high cure rate.

kirstynic
08-08-14, 19:53
Hi

Yes doctor said it was a node. Husband don't think it's got bigger but he never believes me with things like this. Just had a drink of alcohol and scalp itching more another symptom :(

WorryIsMyMiddleName
08-08-14, 20:45
Hi Kirsty. I know that telling you not to worry probably isn't going to help (I know it never helps me!!), but if it's any consolation then I also have a slightly enlarged node behind my ear. It's been that way about a year, along with an enlarged (hard and fixed) one in my neck that visibly sticks out. The ENT I've been seeing about my throat problems isn't even remotely interested, but my dentist was concerned about the one in my neck and has referred me to a Maxillo-Facial consultant. I've also recently had an enlarged gland in my armpit on the same side, which has now gone down but left a visible and tender cord in my armpit. I've no idea what any of this means, just wanted you to know that you aren't alone. xx

Serenity1990
08-08-14, 21:16
Lymph nodes come up and go away. That's what they're meant to do, that's how they do their job keeping us safe. I don't understand, what is it you're worried about?

kirstynic
08-08-14, 21:32
I am worried as there is no reason for it to be up. I do not have an infection and haven't for nearly 3 months. It is hard, fixed and has no reason to be enlarged. The doctor also seem concerned and when I asked about lymphoma said let's do a blood test and keep an eye on it. He was more concerned as I have the node along with generalised unexplained itching. So I am concerned too.

.Poppy.
08-08-14, 21:42
If it makes you feel any better, I have an enlarged lymph node behind my ear (it is hard) and one under my chin/jaw (not hard). They are regularly enlarged and have been for TEN years now. I have panicked about them and had a bunch of tests run, and other than their presence, have no other related symptoms. I've since stopped stressing because everything has come back clear and my doctor isn't worried...so my worrying doesn't do much good anyway.

Messing with it WILL keep it up. They also can come up even if you don't feel sick. Your body is constantly fighting things off because you are constantly in contact with bacteria, so just because you don't feel any symptoms doesn't mean your body isn't reacting to environment.

I would also suggest you give it a good week with no touching and see where you are. If you are still worried go back to the doctor and have them run some tests, if only to give you peace of mind.