PDA

View Full Version : Chest infection, Ciprofloxacin 500mg Advice??

Petesy
08-08-14, 14:51
Hi Everyone

I recently finished a course of amoxacilin 500mg, for a chest infection I have to no prevail, i managed to get a cancellation at my surgery were the g.p sounded my chest and said she could hear crackling, i told her I'd been coughing up phlegm and she said this is what I'm hearing from sounding your chest...

So she prescribed me ciprofloxacin 500mg twice a day it says on the box avoid milk, zinc, magnesium and indigestion remedies at the same time on taking these. :shrug:

I've never been on these before and anybody that has or had a similar experience your input and advice would be much appreciated

Thank you

Petesy :winks:

Petesy
08-08-14, 22:07
Anyone......?? :shrug:

MyNameIsTerry
09-08-14, 02:48
The best thing to do would be to ask a pharmacist. So, you could pop into the chemist or one in a supermarket and ask to speak to the pharmacist. I've done this before with medications (I've never tried the one you are on) and they have always been excellent...I should say also, far more knowledgeable and helpful than my GP!

Grabbed this off Drugs.com. Does it explain in your instructions that it's an avoidance in a timeframe for these? Note the bits below at things like caffeine and sun exposure which you need to avoid more.

NHS Choices is a bit vague http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?condition=Bacterial%20infect ions&medicine=ciprofloxacin&preparationCiprofloxacin%20250mg/5ml%20oral%20suspension

Drugs.com is more detailed but it would be best to consult a pharmacist and enjoy there is nothing else you need to know (unless your instructions include the below timeframes).

http://www.drugs.com/ciprofloxacin.html

What should I avoid?

You may be taking certain other medicines that should not be taken at the same time as ciprofloxacin. Avoid taking the following medicines within 6 hours before or 2 hours after you take ciprofloxacin. These other medicines can make ciprofloxacin much less effective when taken at the same time:

antacids that contain magnesium or aluminum (such as Maalox, Mylanta, or Rolaids), or the ulcer medicine sucralfate (Carafate);
didanosine (Videx) powder or chewable tablets;
vitamin or mineral supplements that contain calcium, iron, or zinc.
Avoid caffeine while you are taking ciprofloxacin, because the medication can make the effects of caffeine stronger.
Avoid exposure to sunlight or tanning beds. Ciprofloxacin can make you sunburn more easily. Wear protective clothing and use sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) when you are outdoors. Call your doctor if you have severe burning, redness, itching, rash, or swelling after being in the sun.
Antibiotic medicines can cause diarrhea, which may be a sign of a new infection. If you have diarrhea that is watery or bloody, stop taking this mediicne and call your doctor. Do not use anti-diarrhea medicine unless your doctor tells you to.
Ciprofloxacin may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be alert.

Any use?

Petesy
09-08-14, 11:32
Hi Terry

Plenty of use :yesyes:

Really appreciate the info you've layed out here cheers.

Thanks again :bighug1:

Petesy.