PDA

View Full Version : This stuff is messing with my head ADVICE

Momof6
10-08-14, 14:06
Hi just a little info. I have been on citalapram for years for health anxiety. Stopped working and was never with out fear or thoughts or body checking. I switched to Effexor and this stuff makes me feel crazy. I have tingling sensation, sensitive nerves. And I just feel worse. Out of it. I have tried Paxil, Zoloft, escitalapram, and now Effexor. What's left?? Celesta was good side effect wise but it just wasn't,t enough for me. Help any suggestions. I am a mom of 6 and I don't have time for this.

SADnomore
11-08-14, 04:58
Hi! How many weeks have you been on the Effexor? It does have a long start-up, side effects wise ...

Venlaxafine is an SNRI
All the others you mentioned are SSRIs

The good news is that there are other types left! TCA's or tricyclic antidepressants (e.g. imapramine) are an older class of medication, as well as MAOIs (e.g. phenelzine/Nardil). Maprotiline is a tetracyclic antidepressant also used to treat anxiety. These and others come with more restrictions on other drugs and even foods to avoid, but they work well for many people.

Nefazadone is it's own separate type/class.
Mirtazapine is an NaSSA, but is more strictly an antidepressant and sleep aid.
Buproprion is an antidepressant but I can say that for me, it is activating rather than relaxing. It is also marketed as Zyban for smoking cessation.

My doctor likes to change class altogether for patients who haven't responded to one or two medications from one class. Some doctors prefer to methodically eliminate drugs from each class in order of ease of use/potentially fewer side effects, usually from the easiest (purportedly the SSRIs) to those more likely to cause discontinuation due to side effects/difficulties in use.

It very much comes down to the person. Some people literally have no problems at all with side effects, others are terribly sensitive, and it can differ widely from drug to drug, depending on the person.

I have found that I am quite sensitive to psychoactive drugs, especially during startup, which is pretty common from what I've read on here. Learning that side effects are somewhat predictable for those who get them, and that these do pass in time is what kept me going to the point that these drugs were finally working the way the were meant to. I felt out of it/"lightheaded" for the first three or four weeks on Effexor, had the tingling sensations and maddeningly stiff muscles, and killer dry mouth! I probably would have thrown in the towel if I hadn't had this forum. It was really enlightening to find out that it is typical to feel heightened anxiety as the drugs begin the process of stabilizing in one's system.

But if you feel you have stuck with the Effexor long enough for it to be stabilized and it still isn't working, then you may want to discuss with your doctor which of the other types you haven't tried yet might be a good candidate for your situation.

Good luck! :bighug1:
Marie

Crossy
19-08-14, 15:27
like you I went from citalapram to effexor.

If I missed a dose or even sometimes a few hours before my next dose I would get the "brain shivers" as people tend to call it.

They are really uncomfortable, like your one big funny bone and every time you move feels like your being hit.

All I can say is don't try and quit them cold turkey. I tried and 3 weeks later the electric shock sensation was still there. Took me a good 3-4 months of reducing the dose each week to get off them.

I don't mean to scare anyone off trying them if their doctor recommends them but I wish I was told of this (possible) side effect before I was prescribed them.