PDA

View Full Version : Is it better to talk

Leanne1977
10-08-14, 14:10
Hi I've suffered from anxiety for many years the problem I have is nobody knows about it I hide it very well , to everyone else I'm confident bubbly Leanne but inside in trying to fight the anxiety symptoms so the question is do I start and tell people or keep it the way it is ??? Xx

Rennie1989
10-08-14, 18:44
That is up to you.

Personally, I am very particular in who I tell. Some people don't understand and there's no gain in telling them that I have an anxiety disorder, whilst to others who are more sympathetic I feel more open. Then it also depends on who really needs to know. I am more open about my anxiety than depression, and those who know about the depression are the ones who've seen me in it. I feel like the less people who know about my struggles the less people will know me as 'so-and-so who is mentally ill'.

ankietyjoe
10-08-14, 18:50
In my experience telling people was a massive weight off my shoulders, hiding it is a trigger in itself for me.

As has been said I'm pretty careful about who I tell, but I did begin to realise that those people I felt I couldn't tell might not be the kind of people I want around me anyway.

Leanne1977
10-08-14, 19:09
Thanks guys I think I'm gonna tell a couple ov family members that I think will understand but then again I think unless u have anxiety or been through it u can never fully understand xx

aprilmoon
10-08-14, 20:37
You may be surprised how many other people have had,or are experiencing similar issues.
Sometimes other people open up when you do.
That's been my experience anyway.

ankietyjoe
10-08-14, 21:01
Thanks guys I think I'm gonna tell a couple ov family members that I think will understand but then again I think unless u have anxiety or been through it u can never fully understand xx

Nope, there's no way you could understand unless you've been through it.

I did find that even though they didn't understand, it made it easier for me as I didn't have to hide or pretend as much, which made it much easier a lot of the time. Especially when we're out somewhere.

susan64
10-08-14, 21:49
I've never been ashamed of telling anyone I have anxiety issues, this is my 2nd time on meds in almost 4 1/2 years, even when I'm not on meds I still am an anxious person who worries about things! Having grown up with my mum being severely depressed and even hospitalised throughout my childhood I don't regard anxiety or depression as something to be ashamed of. In my opinion I think it's far more prevalent now with the pressures and stresses of life. I don't ever feel like I've been judged, most people are surprised because I seem quite confident and outspoken even! Too many people are concerned about the stigma attached to these conditions, when in reality it's very common.

shopmad
10-08-14, 22:46
It really annoys me when people tell me they can't believe i suffer from anxiety, they don't know what i'm thinking! Unless youv'e had anxiety you can't imagine how it feels.

Rennie1989
11-08-14, 12:24
It really annoys me when people tell me they can't believe i suffer from anxiety, they don't know what i'm thinking! Unless youv'e had anxiety you can't imagine how it feels.

I would take it as a compliment. I've told people that I suffer from anxiety and most say that I don't look it because I seem so calm. I'd rather be seen as calm and collective than anxious, mind you. Sure, they don't know what it's like to be anxious, but it's good that they would not think that you have anxiety.

Sarahjosephine
11-08-14, 12:34
I found telling close friends/family really helped me. It can also help because you will see others suffer too and are good at hiding it. It's nothing to be ashamed of and talking to people has been one of the major things that has helped me and I know a lot of people suffer more from not talking. Much love x

mat74
11-08-14, 17:23
After suffering on and off for around 8 years I finally told close friends a few weeks ago after another cancelled event by me (third in a row) and using the "I am ill" excuse every time wasn't washing (I could tell) - out of around 10 friends I see only told 4 who I feel closest to and asked them to keep it to themselves. Now they know I feel better for it.

Also, when out I feel a bit better, I force myself out for walks and for something to eat and stop and talk to people and their dogs and that helps ease the anxiety.

Leanne1977
11-08-14, 18:30
Thanks for the advice guys and yeah I think my family and friends are sick of the same old excuses x