PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever had a massage and felt worse afterwards?

Female healthanxiety
11-08-14, 13:12
Or is it just me?!

Since I've had one I've felt so much stiffness and also headaches.

I had a neck back and shoulder but she did not do my head. My friends said that it was bad not for her to release the energy from my head?!

K x

Fishmanpa
11-08-14, 13:19
Gotta be you on that one. I've been a little sore from a deep tissue massage (it's a good hurt :) ) but never been worse.

Positive thoughts

Female healthanxiety
11-08-14, 14:18
Must be just me then!!! I don't mind the soreness but don't even have that!!!

Hope your OK Fishmanpa x

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 13:33 ----------

Sorry to change the subject!

Does it sound like I have a sinus'

I have pain in the areas (picture attached) http://http://m.boots.com/mt/www.boots.com/en/Vicks-Sinex-Decongestant-Capsules-16-Capsules_45625/

The pain is on the right side only, but have pain in my neck as well, also my eye and cheek on the right.

I woke up with a mucusy nose but am not sneezing

X

bulan
11-08-14, 14:25
About the massage, yes, I've had bad and good massages in the past, where I felt a clear difference between good pain and bad pain. One guy, in particular, comes to mind. He worked at the same location as my favourite RMT.

When my favourite therapist moved to an office way out in the countryside, I thought I'd try the other guy. But after my appointment with him (and a boat load of bad pain), I decided that driving into the country was worth the time to get a good massage! :)

Annie0904
11-08-14, 19:21
I am a holistic therapist. Some times Contra-actions can occur after a massage. Aching or soreness may be felt and this is due to the release of toxins and the bodies nerves responding to deep massage. Occasionally the clients may also get headaches afterwards and this is due to the flushing out of toxins. It is advisable to drink a glass of water after a massage to help flush out toxins and avoid contra-actions. I always give my clients a glass of water after and also advise them to drink more water and avoid tea/coffee/alcohol.
A back, neck and shoulder massage would not usually include the head. Not massaging your head would not have any adverse affect on you.
Your pictures have not attached but yes you could have sinus pain, gentle face massage would help with this and you could also try steam inhalation maybe with a drop of eucalyptus oil added. Also alternating hot and cold compresses 10 minutes each.

Carnation
11-08-14, 20:26
HI, I have felt better and worse. I agree with a lot of what Annie said, but I do think it is beneficial. A massage can disturb the muscle tissue and it needs to resettle. And, when I didn't drink enough fluids after, I did get headaches and felt light-headed.

Female healthanxiety
11-08-14, 21:30
Thanks Annie,

I have always had massages that finish with the head, as I thought otherwise the energy would be trapped in the shoulders/back and would leave you with a bad neck?

I have lots of tension in my neck and also feel off-balance :-(

Thank you for your advice, I brought some menthol from boots earlier along with some decongestant tablets - I'm really hoping they work - as a ruling out at least.

I fell asleep at 6pm and have just woken up, but had the massage on Friday night so don't know!!!

I was not offered a glass of water but had one when I got in!

Thanks Carnation - that's interesting to hear - it's meant to make me feel better! I have had some lovely ones in the past but saying that was a bit before my HA.

X

Annie0904
11-08-14, 21:52
I always finish with the head when I do full body aromatherapy massages but not for Swedish or back massages. What you said about the energy being trapped I have never heard of and was certainly not taught that in my training (Diploma in Holistic Therapies). After care advise is very important, drinking plenty of water and not eating a big meal for at least an hour after. If they don't give you water in future, ask for some.

Female healthanxiety
11-08-14, 22:52
Thanks Annie that's reassuring!

Sounded like I needed one of yours :-)

fac163
12-08-14, 05:00
About 9 months ago (this was a time before health anxieties cropped up this past month) I got a deep tissue back massage after not having one in months, and he really gave it to me good. I felt the next day like I had been hit by a truck, or the flu, and even my urine was concentrated and I feared it was appendicitis or a kidney stone. It subsided after a few days. But yeah, I googled it at the time and believed it to be a release of stored chemistry getting flushed out. Trying not to believe now that it was something more sinister, after hearing some peoples' theories about lymph nodes and such.

Female healthanxiety
12-08-14, 14:44
Hello fac,

Thanks for your reply.

I had mine last Thursday night and I feel like I cannot walk due to the dizziness, was meant to go back to work Monday bug have been off.

Went DRs this morning and she did a manual check and said I'm highly anxious :-(

Annie0904
12-08-14, 14:55
It doesn't sound like it was anything to do with the massage. Any contra-actions wouldn't last that long. It does sound like anxiety symptoms to me.