PDA

View Full Version : Long Time Reader, First Time Poster

JoeGomez17
11-08-14, 18:01
Hi All,

These forums have helped me immensely over the past 2.5 months, during which I've been suffering from health anxiety. I thought I'd chime in and say hello.

nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/healthanxiety
-This page has helped me more than anything and I read it when I feel anxious.

Excuse the long story, but I want it written down for future reference (mostly my own).

Back Story:
-Went to a friends birthday party in mid-May 2014, ate pretzels and beer, choked very badly on a pretzel, more than I ever have in my life. Didn't think anything of it though.

-Next day started taking a vanpool to my new job. On the FIRST day taking it on the way home, I feel super light headed and like my heart wasn't working, and my hands and feet were tingling. I got zero sleep that night. It happened again the next time I tried to take the vanpool too.

-Over the next month or so, I started to have hyperventilation attacks while driving, not just in the vanpool. As I love driving, this was a major hit to my self esteem and my ability to have fun. I didn't know they were hyperventilation attacks until my Dr. explained them to me weeks later.

-I also started feeling like I was short of breath; started gasping for air as I fall asleep; small feelings of impending doom; being anxious of falling asleep; like there was heavy mucus at the back of my throat; having involuntary deep breaths; and sleep apnea-type feelings. Sometimes just sitting in my chair at work (if I'm slouching) causes me to have an involuntary deep breath and it made me very anxious.

-There was also a lot of dizziness -- not bad, but enough to cause me to be anxious. Usually accompanied by a lot of stomach movement / acid reflux type feelings. I guess dizziness wouldn't be the right description, but nausea and light headedness.

Doctor Visits (Many):
-I visited the ER and Urgent Care many times with shortness of breath, chest pain, general malaise.. my mind made them way worse than they really were. Each time things were explainable, I just wanted to be looked at by a medical professional to keep my mind at ease.

-Four visits to the Urgent Care, EKGs, blood work, all good, various diagnosis from BPPV (benign positional vertigo) to anxiety.

-One visit to the Emergency Room ($$$), EKG, blood work panel, x-ray of chest, all good, slight hypoxia

-Many visits to my allergist, diagnosted asthma based on my description of shortness of breath and very bad dust allergies -- prescribed albuterol, nasonex, allegra. Albuterol did no good, only gave me very bad side effects of insomnia and jitteriness. Nasonex worked, but caused me to be more anxious and the feeling of loose mucus at the back of my throat caused intermittent breathing issues, so I stopped them both and stuck with Allegra.

-Finally, my primary Dr. diagnosed me with GERD, or a hiatal hernia caused by the choking fit I had, and the fact that I used to be a coffee FIEND, drinking 8 or more cups a day of double-strength coffee (I'm down to 1 at most now, based on medical advice from my Dr). From what I can tell, all my symptoms fit. I do often couch up stomach acid, or feel it regurgitating into my chest. My stomach is also always vocal, with movements and gas or noises constantly. The shortness of breath and gasps can be caused by acid refluxing into the esophagus. I'm constantly gassy, burping or ... the other.

I'm going back to him in a week to determine a better course for treatment of the reflux / hernia than a dietary change and sleeping on an incline (both of which have helped, but I'm not back to normal yet). My driving hyperventilation fits have subsided, and the only lingering bouts of anxiety I have anymore come from acid coming up my throat causing me to gasp or the occasional dizziness fit. I also have issues working out when its too humid, as I feel I don't get enough air and it starts the anxiety train again.

Thanks for listening. I wish all that read this the best in their recovery and maintenance of their health anxiety.

Feel free to reach out to me if you want to chat or anything, especially if you have similar symptoms as we can help each other. My profession keeps me on the computer all day, so its likely I will respond to you very quickly.

aprilmoon
11-08-14, 19:41
Hi Joe
Welcome to the forum!
I read your post(all of it),and have had many of these symptoms in the past myself,although my anxiety was general not health.
Whichever it is,its the pits isn't it?
I've just started CBT,which I've waited forever for,but meds have also helped me a great deal,as well as more knowledge about why we experience these sort of things.
Hope you find the site useful and enjoy sharing with other people who 'just get it '
Best wishes :)

JoeGomez17
11-08-14, 20:28
Thanks for taking the time to read this, April!

Knowing that you and others have had similar symptoms makes me feel a ton better. It is definitely 'the pits'.

What symptoms did you have, out of curiosity?

aprilmoon
11-08-14, 21:28
Hi
Feelings of impending doom,lightheadedness, tingling in hands and feet,intrusive thoughts which made me turn up at a and e because I was convinced I was losing it.
All down to anxiety.
I still have my moments,but I'm much better than I was now.
My anxiety was a result of a succession of traumatic life events that had chipped away at me,until in the end,I had no reserve left,and it all hit me.

JoeGomez17
11-08-14, 21:50
Really appreciate the response.

Mine was a result of similar. Good stressors, but stressors none the less.. Moving, new job, new fiance. Coupled with a couple of deaths in the family.. really hit me hard.

Good luck!

aprilmoon
11-08-14, 22:08
Thanks
You too :)

James1983
12-08-14, 21:09
Hi All,

These forums have helped me immensely over the past 2.5 months, during which I've been suffering from health anxiety. I thought I'd chime in and say hello.

nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/healthanxiety
-This page has helped me more than anything and I read it when I feel anxious.

Excuse the long story, but I want it written down for future reference (mostly my own).

Back Story:
-Went to a friends birthday party in mid-May 2014, ate pretzels and beer, choked very badly on a pretzel, more than I ever have in my life. Didn't think anything of it though.

-Next day started taking a vanpool to my new job. On the FIRST day taking it on the way home, I feel super light headed and like my heart wasn't working, and my hands and feet were tingling. I got zero sleep that night. It happened again the next time I tried to take the vanpool too.

-Over the next month or so, I started to have hyperventilation attacks while driving, not just in the vanpool. As I love driving, this was a major hit to my self esteem and my ability to have fun. I didn't know they were hyperventilation attacks until my Dr. explained them to me weeks later.

-I also started feeling like I was short of breath; started gasping for air as I fall asleep; small feelings of impending doom; being anxious of falling asleep; like there was heavy mucus at the back of my throat; having involuntary deep breaths; and sleep apnea-type feelings. Sometimes just sitting in my chair at work (if I'm slouching) causes me to have an involuntary deep breath and it made me very anxious.

-There was also a lot of dizziness -- not bad, but enough to cause me to be anxious. Usually accompanied by a lot of stomach movement / acid reflux type feelings. I guess dizziness wouldn't be the right description, but nausea and light headedness.

Doctor Visits (Many):
-I visited the ER and Urgent Care many times with shortness of breath, chest pain, general malaise.. my mind made them way worse than they really were. Each time things were explainable, I just wanted to be looked at by a medical professional to keep my mind at ease.

-Four visits to the Urgent Care, EKGs, blood work, all good, various diagnosis from BPPV (benign positional vertigo) to anxiety.

-One visit to the Emergency Room ($$$), EKG, blood work panel, x-ray of chest, all good, slight hypoxia

-Many visits to my allergist, diagnosted asthma based on my description of shortness of breath and very bad dust allergies -- prescribed albuterol, nasonex, allegra. Albuterol did no good, only gave me very bad side effects of insomnia and jitteriness. Nasonex worked, but caused me to be more anxious and the feeling of loose mucus at the back of my throat caused intermittent breathing issues, so I stopped them both and stuck with Allegra.

-Finally, my primary Dr. diagnosed me with GERD, or a hiatal hernia caused by the choking fit I had, and the fact that I used to be a coffee FIEND, drinking 8 or more cups a day of double-strength coffee (I'm down to 1 at most now, based on medical advice from my Dr). From what I can tell, all my symptoms fit. I do often couch up stomach acid, or feel it regurgitating into my chest. My stomach is also always vocal, with movements and gas or noises constantly. The shortness of breath and gasps can be caused by acid refluxing into the esophagus. I'm constantly gassy, burping or ... the other.

I'm going back to him in a week to determine a better course for treatment of the reflux / hernia than a dietary change and sleeping on an incline (both of which have helped, but I'm not back to normal yet). My driving hyperventilation fits have subsided, and the only lingering bouts of anxiety I have anymore come from acid coming up my throat causing me to gasp or the occasional dizziness fit. I also have issues working out when its too humid, as I feel I don't get enough air and it starts the anxiety train again.

Thanks for listening. I wish all that read this the best in their recovery and maintenance of their health anxiety.

Feel free to reach out to me if you want to chat or anything, especially if you have similar symptoms as we can help each other. My profession keeps me on the computer all day, so its likely I will respond to you very quickly.

thanks for sharing your story. ive had a lot of similar experiences as well. i feel realy freaked out writing this ive felt awful since 2pm but ive been down with depression for the last 2 weeks or so ive just taken my first anti depressant for 14 weeks i dont think i can cope any more. all this started in 2010 i had a heart palp i thought i was dying and since then my life has lurched from one panic attack to another. ive had 3 rides in the ambulance to the hospital. and gone there myself 3 times. i have been on and off tablets in that time feeling well - not needed come off- feel crap- go back on them its really awful. i hate this so much. i get tingling, heart palps, churning stomach, dizziness, feeling sick, sweating, pains, depression etc. i cant touch tea or coffee any more because it makes me feel really anxious. i love driving as well but i had to sell my car 2 years back:weep: the driving kept me half sane as it focused my mind. i still get the chance in the odd car club car though. it seems a massive effort to try and calm down. sorry to go on.

JoeGomez17
12-08-14, 21:16
Hi James

Thanks for responding.

I know how you feel - when my HA was at its worst I would come home, try to sleep, and go from anxiety attack to anxiety attack. I didn't want to eat. I wanted to know what was wrong with me, and that made me Google and Dr. Google said I had all kinds of bad stuff.

What helped me was focusing on other things - work, fiance, working out. I still can't work out very hard, because when my heart races I get anxious, but I can do more and more each time I go for walks or on a stationary bike.

I know it sucks but I would try to challenge yourself a little bit. I'm a lot better now and can go out and do things when before I couldn't because I would be home obsessing over my heart and pulse and breathing.

James1983
12-08-14, 21:23
Thanks for that Joe.

I hate my heart racing but its true i do need to challenge myself more. some days i do walk to and from work which is 4.5 miles each way and i walk quite quick but i know i should be doing more. i just want to be able to relax.

JoeGomez17
12-08-14, 22:04
"I just want to be able to relax"
"I just want to be normal"

Both things I have said to myself and my fiance countless times over the past two months. You're not alone in feeling that way.

Hope things get better for you.

I'm not a doctor or anything but you can always message me on here.

James1983
12-08-14, 22:11
thanks i appreciate that Joe.