PDA

View Full Version : I have had this fear of Hanging myself for years.

LyingScotsman
12-08-14, 02:27
Hi folks! I am going to start by saying that this has always been in the back of my mind, and I just want to finally get rid off it because the thought of actually doing the act terrifies me. I have been terrified of hanging myself for years, and I would like to know if any of you on this forum have the same fear. I don't intend on doing it, but having the possibility of ever doing it really plays on my mind and makes me feel scared. Like for instance when I walk into the bathroom I notice the rope that you pull to put the shower on. The thoughts about suicide just race through my head when I look at it, and I get a anxious felling going on in my neck when I dwell on it for too long. I would like to know if there is anyone else who has ever gotten over this horrible phobia? I would be interested to know. Thanks!

jcd_gad
27-08-14, 00:21
Hi,

Yeah I get like this sometimes, I actually suffer from anxiety and depression

sist
21-01-15, 20:23
Can you please help me? I have similar feeling. I want to get out of this feeling.
Please help

Thanks,
Kashyap

Suz84
22-01-15, 15:19
It sounds like you're having intrusive thoughts. They tend to be your mind throwing in thoughts that you don't want.. thing is usually people having thoughts like that are the least likely to carry them out. It's sort of part of anxiety .. I used to get them and it freaked me out. I was petrified to even have sleeping tablets in the house in case I randomly decided to take too many. I also once had thoughts about kissing my (same sex) friend despite being straight. Once I learnt that they were intrusive thoughts and that's all they were they settled down a lot. They can get quite bad - people worried they're going to become a paedophile or that they're going to hurt someone. But in most cases they're nothing to worry about. A good line I read recently was that thoughts are thoughts not fact. Just because you think it doesn't make it true.

mlondon
26-01-15, 02:20
Hi, I have had the same anxiety for the past year since someone told me about a friend who committed suicide. They told me when I was particularly anxious (they didn't know) and the first thing I thought was 'could i commit suicide', a year ago i wouldn't have even written the words. I check for the thoughts, could i often and then i get a tightness in my chest which makes me feel worse. I hate feeling on edge a lot of the time because of it, i have noticed that the thoughts come more frequently when i am stressed. I tell myself it is just a thought and try not to engage in the thought. One useful piece of advise is to imagine the thought is like an internet pop up,you notice it, close it and carry on with what you are doing. The thought isn't fact it is just our minds overworking.

MyNameIsTerry
26-01-15, 04:53
Hi, I have had the same anxiety for the past year since someone told me about a friend who committed suicide. They told me when I was particularly anxious (they didn't know) and the first thing I thought was 'could i commit suicide', a year ago i wouldn't have even written the words. I check for the thoughts, could i often and then i get a tightness in my chest which makes me feel worse. I hate feeling on edge a lot of the time because of it, i have noticed that the thoughts come more frequently when i am stressed. I tell myself it is just a thought and try not to engage in the thought. One useful piece of advise is to imagine the thought is like an internet pop up,you notice it, close it and carry on with what you are doing. The thought isn't fact it is just our minds overworking.

That sounds like an intrusive thought. I've had similiar.

You are right, if you engage you only reinforce them by validating them as worthy thought processes (not correct, just valid, as the subconscious doesn't know enough to make a judgement). By not reacting or changing your position to be non judgemental as taught in Mindfulness, the subconscious slows down on sending them until either healthier thought processes 'fire' instead of them or you just don't react much at all (I've laughed at some of mine thinking how ridiculous they were as I was getting rid of them!)