PDA

View Full Version : Scared! Further investigation needed repeat ferritin blood test

kirstynic
13-08-14, 13:03
Hi

I have posted recently about a hard lump-swollen lymph node behind my ear. I had a blood test Friday and received a letter from the doctor today saying that a repeat ferritin blood test is needed and classed as further investigation.

I am now so scared as know ferritin can be out due to cancer and with this lump behind my ear I am even more scared :(

toria
13-08-14, 14:22
Hi I have got low ferritin and have on and off for a good few years no one has ever said its related to cancer and I have never heard that before, its common in women who have periods or its diet related its your iron stores it doesn't even mean you are anemic but does give you similar symptoms I have blood test frequently for it as well I really wouldn't worry, have they give you iron tablets I am taking ferrous sulphate for it, take care toria x

kirstynic
14-08-14, 12:10
Ok so I am even more scared now as high ferritin can be caused by cancer specifically hodgkins lymphoma which I have symptoms for hard swollen painless lymph node and itching!

LE
15-08-14, 17:15
Did you call to ask if your results show low ferritin or high ferritin?

I am sure there are lots of reasons for high just as there are for low ferritin.

kirstynic
15-08-14, 21:34
Saw doctor yesterday about the back pains I keep getting. He said I have a uti and when I asked about blood tests he told be he had to be quick as had a room full of people to see! He looked quick and said they all looked ok but won't be surprised if I get a letter saying I need to contact the doctors as he didn't hardly look at the results!