PDA

View Full Version : first time 4mg

shopmad
13-08-14, 15:37
hi the dr gave me valium for the first time yesterday. ive taken two 2mg and i feel a bit tired bit not that more relaxed. do i need a higher dose?

Svojski85
13-08-14, 15:56
possibly. valium is a very strong medicine which can zone you out quite badly, so if you don't feel anything, not even after 2-3 hours, then it's strange.

shopmad
13-08-14, 16:21
its been about 3 hours now and i just feel a bit tired not zoned out at all

shopmad
16-08-14, 23:46
will a higher dose just make me more tired?

swgrl09
17-08-14, 03:24
Honestly it usually just makes me sleepy but I never take over 4 mg bc I just use it if I am having trouble sleeping.

shopmad
29-09-14, 17:05
just been back to dr's they won't give me a higher dose and i'm going to Italy this wknd so i'm very worried. why do dr's vary so much about benzos? Looking on the internet 2mg is a very small dose and i'm already on 40mg a day of fluoxetine.

teej
29-09-14, 17:26
why do dr's vary so much about benzos? Looking on the internet 2mg is a very small dose and i'm already on 40mg a day of fluoxetine.

People can become addicted to benzos very quickly. When that happens the doctor has a huge problem as withdrawal can be protracted, painful and difficult to manage and long term use of them can cause cognitive problems and depression. Your fluoxetine on the other hand does not do that. The dose of the fluoxetine has no relation to the dose of valium.

The doctor is being cautious - some doctors are more so than others, but he probably just doesn't want to create a problem when there are so many more options for anxiety now.

When you take benzos the action should be very subtle - I take 0.5 of lorazepam when I'm having a bad time which is equal to 5mg of diazepam and it just allows me to clear my mind and get on with my life / job. I made the mistake of taking a whole 1 mg tablet the other day and it knocked me sideways.

Have you consider adding in some other relaxation techniques like a meditation CD? You could also consider asking for propranolol for anxiety or maybe a sedating anti-histamine like Attarax or Promethazine. All of these are going to be better for you than benzos.

Hope this helps a little to explain.

shopmad
29-09-14, 17:31
i've heard alot about propranolol is it similar to valium?

teej
30-09-14, 12:06
Propranolol is something called a beta-blocker. It has a completely different method of action to valium in that you don't get the sense of "well-being", but it will help quell the symptoms of anxiety i.e. the racing heart beat and the shakiness. Often that is enough to calm someone down.

Also unlike valium, propranolol is not addictive and you cannot gain a tolerance to it. You can also take them as when needed as I do.

The only thing to be aware of with propranolol is that it can make people with asthma wheezy.

Hope that helps.

T

Janey86
30-09-14, 22:54
If you're not feeling a sense of calm after 2-3 hours, that does suggest the dose isn't high enough for you. I've been on prozac for 12 weeks (80mg per day) and I had diazepam for four weeks at the beginning because my side effects were horrendous. I was initially given 2mg, but I had to take 2 of these just to feel any effect, so my doctor increased my dosage to 5mg tablets. I was taking between 5 and 15mg per day, and that really helped. However, I haven't had any for the past 6/7 weeks. These pills are very addictive, and you can become dependent after only 2-4 weeks. Doctors are really careful about prescribing it, and the majority of prescriptions are short-term. If your doctor won't increase your dose you *could* take two at a time - but only take them when absolutely necessary! Your supply will run out and they should be reserved for high anxiety periods. Good luck.