PDA

View Full Version : New psychiatrist & new medication

HelpNeeder
15-08-14, 04:30
A year ago I found a psychiatrist who understood some English as I am living in Spain. She couldn‘t really speak the language and so last week I decided to find another psychiatrist. Luckily I found one and she’s so hot! As I said in a previous post I have been suffering from anxiety for a few years but I didn’t seek help until last year for the first time. My old psychiatrist prescribed Clonazepam 0.5 mg for a few months and then I took Escitalopram 10 mg for nearly a year. My new psychiatrist says that since I’m still feeling nervous and having bad thoughts after such a long time on that antidepressant that it is clearly not working for me and so she got me started on Clonazepam again, just for a few weeks, and now I’m supposed to take Paroxetine 20 mg from now on. She told me that if my antidepressant is working then I should be anxiety-free or at least near-anxiety-free. She also told me that since I waited so long to seek professional help that my recovery would be more difficult than that of people who seek help immediately but that I should be able to live a good life.

How many antidepressants did you guys have to try out until you found the right one?

With the right antidepressant, would you say that you are anxiety-free?

gregcool
15-08-14, 08:57
Iv had a few different meds to.they all take time to get in your system and start to work.,thats if they are going to work for us.im now on trazadone 200mg for depression its a old drug but iv been on it for months now.it certanly helps me sleep.im allso on olanzipine 5mg night time this has helped reduce my anxiety,but i am not anxiety free.good luck

radiowave
15-08-14, 23:06
Hi HelpNeeder. I've been on 9 different ADs. Some of them have helped, but I would say that I continued to have residual anxiety. I should mention, however, that most of these medications were tried with my previous psychiatrist, who I believe did not keep on a given med long enough to know if it would truly work or not.

Right now I am on Prozac. I know from reading posts here, especially Betterdays' "A timetable for recovery on fluoxetine/Prozac", that it can take a considerable amount of time for a medication to fully kick in, of the order of 8 weeks or longer. It would be good to factor that in when evaluating your progress.

I hope you are doing well. It is good that you have linked up with a psychiatrist that you feel confident in. Let us know how it goes.

RW