PDA

View Full Version : new and frightened!!!

manda8801
21-12-06, 22:06
hello- my name is Amanda and I am only 18 years old. I have just recently been experiencing extreme panic attacks and anxiety. It may have to do with my drug induced lifestyle which I have vouged to quit. There are many other factors- but none of that matters. All that matters is I am extremely scared, and finding this forum and reading some posts has really made me feel more comfortable with my anxiety. I have been embarrassed by my symtoms when I have been randomly hit with an attack while with friends and on road trips. Just hoping to meet some people here who are new and possibly close to my age to tell me what I can do to help myself.

I am supposed to be heading to NYC for New Years Eve. and have been RUDELY informed by a doctors office that there will be no one to help me and prescribe me medicine before then. This worries me because now that I know what a PA feels like, I am constantly afraid of getting one in public, especially where I am supposed to have the best weekend of my life!!

If anyone has any advise, I'm always here to listen!! THANKS!!

Amanda

trac67
21-12-06, 22:23
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'

LickeyEndBlues
21-12-06, 22:56
Hi Manda,

Glad to hear you are finding the site useful, there are loads of folks in here around your age.....sadly not me....I could be your dad!!!

Embarassment is a huge isue as it very much is about how we perceive other people think of us. In truth probably they dont give a hoot but still we worry!!

If you make Times Square I'm sure it wil be a blast.

Take care and remember you are not alone here.

Iain

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

seeker
21-12-06, 23:02
Hello,
I had my first panic attack at 18, and also took too many drugs from 18 - 25, so can sympathise. Try lots of the relaxation techniques and really try not to take drugs - it makes you feel much better if you are in total control of yourself and not fretting about the drugs! I'm now 29 and have my anxiety and panic attacks pretty much under control, apart from if I feel my life isn't in my control, for example when changing jobs, moving house, ill pets etc. Even then, I am very aware of anxiety attacks etc and how to stop them becoming major issues. If you can learn some coping techniques now, it will help greatly in the future. try yoga, meditation and muscle relaxing one by one - search on here and you will find the techniques. hope this helps! ps don't let it stop you doing things - that way ruin lies!! Get some bach rescue remedy, explain to one or two of your close friends what is happening and have a look at the introduction section of this website. You'll probably have too good a time at new year to worry about PAs!

airwolf451
21-12-06, 23:02
hey manda and welcome to NMP

i know exactly how you feel hun, and i would say that part of my pa and anx can be traced back to taking drugs in my past along with a number of personal issues.

dont worry manda we are here to help, and just so you no a PA will never ever harm you.

but if i can make a suggestion from my own personal experience, i would keep clear of anything or anyone that is involved in the drug culture, i know thats hard as you did want to go out new yrs eve, but trust me, the best new yrs present you can ever give yourself is to avoid that seen all together.

pls take the time over the holiday season to think about yourself and whats best for you,

at the end of the day its only another night , and im sure there are lots of other things that you could do. :)

MOST IMPORTANTLY DONT WORRY ITS ONLY PANIC, AND IT WILL NEVER EVER HARM YOU.

if you ever need to just pm me

take care and God Bless

steve aka the wolf :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

yorkylover
21-12-06, 23:24
Welcome to no panic Amanda.there is lots of support here and advise.
MERRY CHRISTMAS

Ellen XX

manmoor
21-12-06, 23:52
Hi Amanda,

A big warm welcome to you.

Take Care

Mandyxx

jill
22-12-06, 00:05
Hi Amanda

WELCOME TO THE SITE :D

There are lots of nice people here who will help and support you, you are not alone.

First steps to overcoming panic and anxiety

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

Fear is the darkroom
where negatives are developed.....

When you fear something,
learn as much about it as you can.
Knowledge conqers fear...

nomorepanic
22-12-06, 17:35
Hi Amanda

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here. Hope we can be of some help.

You will meet some lovely people here and get some great support so stick around.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

Dreamer029
22-12-06, 19:11
hi Amanda,

im 20 years old, just started suffering from anxiety and panic attacks about a year ago. doctors can be such @$$wipes sometimes. I would ask for some anti-anxiety drugs to hold you over. tell them that if they wont give you at least a few pills of ativan or something of that nature then you'll just go to the ER and get it when you have an attack (which if you do go to the ER during an attack they will give you a dose). im actually from about 45 minutes out of NYC, might head there myself for new years lol...my cousin has an apartment there. try not to worry about an attack though, you can't die from one! although it does feel like that sometimes.

:-)
Lauren

Lynnann
23-12-06, 16:12
Hi Amanda,

Welcome to the forum, you have definately come to the right place. It really is a wonderful site. Full of really nice people

Hugs to you

Lynnann

manda8801
23-12-06, 18:00
thank you all so much! I am so happy I've found a place so quickly that is so informative and supportive!!I truly thought I was the only one!!

Lauren- you should really head into the city to bring in the New Year, I've never done it before and I think it will really be a blast if I can just put this anxiety thing aside! hehe

I have learned that this isn't going to kill me, and no matter how bad it seems it will all pass, thanks to you all! my only issues now are: I am only 18, a senior in high school, and this is supposed to be the funnest times of my life. I really want to be able to drink and smoke all I want, but I fear of getting a PA everytime. Does anyone know of any medications that you can take and still be allowed to drink? I may seems like an alcoholic, but truly I am not. I do it socially and I really don't want to have to give that up before I even reach legal age!!! Just someone tell me if drinking truly is a really bad idea?! Thanks!!

Amanda

clickaway
23-12-06, 18:41
Hi Amanda,

As others have said, drugs can cause bad anxiety and panic so you are better off without them.

As for drinking, it affects people differently. I'm not a big drinker, but can have half a bottle of wine and feel no different. But alcohol is a stimulant, and so is more likely to induce panic. I'd also switch to decaf coffee most of the time - by all means treat yourself every so often - treats are good for the mind as well!

I'd encourage you to face the fear by getting to NYC at New Year. If you have a panic, just keep telling it it won't get the better of you and you can carry on. A real test for you will be to enjoy the night without having to resort to the feel good stuff.

Be Strong,

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers