PDA

View Full Version : Vibrating Shrinking leg!

LadyH
15-08-14, 10:28
Helloo all!
Still going crazy over here,
My left thigh has constant odd sensations in it, vibrating, mild spasms, sore, shaking, it never lets up. Buzzing humming, 24/7!!! Driving me nuts.

I am sure it's shrinking by the day, less full, less round muscles. Dips, dents and ridges down the outside of the biggest muscle.

Am constantly strength testing it.

Feel the need to make an appointment with the doc so much.
At a total loss and don't know what to do

Hxx

LadyH
15-08-14, 14:51
Not sure what I'm expecting you all to say, but when I get no replies it makes me think the worst that even you guys can't put a positive spin on it!

I am aware and hate how attention seeking and self absorbed that sounds but it's how I feel :(
Any and all comments welcome
xx

Fishmanpa
15-08-14, 15:42
Lady H,

There were a few posts a while back where the poster described weight loss on one side of the stomach and another only in their hands. IMO, it's your anxiety that's causing you to see what you're seeing as it's physiologically impossible to have wasting in just one limb as you describe.

I'm not a doctor but the wasting you're describing could/would only take place if the limb is totally immobile and caused by paralysis or some other crippling neurological condition which is not the case here. One would also see something like this if the limb was in a cast for a long period of time for instance.

If you haven't yet, see your doctor. What it sounds like is some kind of nerve impingement/issue.

Positive thoughts

MotherofDragons
15-08-14, 15:42
It is probably buzzing, twitching and shaking because you are continually strength testing it and straining it. Feel better soon.

AnxietyDJ
15-08-14, 15:49
Yes, agree with the other replies... Guessing you keep tensing the muscle(s) all the time to test it out and obviously keep prodding/feeling it all the time? That's bound to make it feel 'different' to the rest of your leg / body and make it more prone to spasms / shaking / tingling etc. just as any of your muscles would after an intense workout.

Easier said than done, but try not to worry - it all sounds fine :)

LadyH
15-08-14, 16:59
Thanks guys :) Super helpful to hear from you
Hxx

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:01 ----------

@Anxiety DJ, yes I am constantly feeling, tensing, looking poling measuring. I was doing squats in a coffee shop bathroom yesterday! That was a low point. Step ups on to the loo and everything to check my leg was working! Absolute madness. Hard for me to take as I am very athletic and active, and my leg has never felt like this before even after grueling workouts, and especially for it just to be in the one leg is extra freaky.

The doc 10 days ago did some reflex testing, and said it was a totally normal neuro exam. And on one level I completely trust and believe him- normal exam = no MND, but on another level I can't ignore these things my body is feeling!

Scary stuff.

Also as Fismanpa says, sounds like a nerve thing. I also think there is something deffo wrong, hopefully my brain is making me think it's something really scary but it's actually a small problem. But having seen the doc just 10 days ago- at what point do I go back and say you know, there's seriously something up with the leg here...??

Thanks guys
Hxx

Serenity1990
15-08-14, 18:28
LadyH, you've seen your doctor and he says you're fine, your neurological exam was normal, you don't have MND.

RaverNeko
15-08-14, 21:08
Wow, I've been dealing with the same thing except it's in my arms. Based on the fact that your neurological exam is fine, I'd say that you really are doing alright. Neurologists have years of experience in dealing with various people with neurological symptoms, and I'm sure he/she would have done something if he/she noticed anything out of the ordinary! I'd ask that you try your best to believe in him/her, although I do completely understand how hard that can be sometimes!

LadyH
15-08-14, 22:20
Thanks all! Helpful as ever :)

LadyH
06-09-14, 20:59
HI everyone,
Sorry for dragging this up again but have a had a rotten few days,
Everything I was experiencing, the issues with the leg and all the twitching are still there, yay.
I had some perceived weakness in my left arm and particularly 2 of my fingers the last few days too, but this doesn't seem ti have gotten any worse.

What has very much scared me now:
I have noticed that my Uvular deviates to my left, and then I got thinking about the fact that I can't yawn (I have the urge to yawn, but can't "complete" it, and it's weird and horrible). That's been the case for 6 weeks plus. And so now my mind is focussed on the fact that this is obviously because my plate etc. has starter to collapse, making my uvular deviate, and causing me not to be able to yawn, because now the more I think about it, that is the point that my yawn stops, that's where it feels stuck- right at the back of my throat there.

Help help, in a downward spiral in my head right now, really struggling to see this one form a rational perspective.
All respondents welcome, help me out with this one guys,

Thank you,
Hxx

Serenity1990
07-09-14, 09:01
Yawning is involuntary. I've never had the "urge" to yawn but I've just tried and I can't force myself to. :)

LadyH
07-09-14, 18:46
Hi Serenity,
when I say urge, I just mean in the natural way, that I feel a yawn happening but can never complete, it's like the yawn gets stuck in my throat & am basically just left with a gaping mouth!!
I think it feels like it's in my Larynx, and am naturally now terrified that my Larynx is packing up....
Hxx

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

Feels like I've had a lump on my throat all day, feel the need to constantly swallow!

Also felt weakness and in my left arm and particularly two of my fingers,

Still twitching all over,

My leg dent feels like it's still getting bigger, and that's still particularly spas my, achey, rumbly etc.

Jesus, am falling to pieces over here :unsure:

---------- Post added at 18:46 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

Sore throat also, especially in the mornings.....
Hx

Cambrian49
07-09-14, 19:53
You sound as though you are having a "spiral of doom" which I often have when I can't stop obsessing about a certain illness and the symptoms of it. Have you tried CBT or any kind of therapy? Is there something that you can plan to try and focus on that's positive at the mo? I only Ask because it's the only way I can make myself stop from straying into this situation - it's not easy but it does work. I'm planning my wedding at the mo and so I get obsessive about that instead of symptoms of illnesses or if I start thinking horrible thoughts I make myself get up and do something to distract myself. It's a horrible place to be I and you have my sympathy . X

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:51 ----------

Btw - I get sore throat in the mornings because I have the window open at night and I snore like a hog :)

LadyH
07-09-14, 21:05
Hi Cambrian, and congrats on your wedding :).
Yes that sounds like me right now. Utterly convinced it's the dreaded *** and I will wake up tomorrow with a useless leg/ arm/ not being as to speak.
I keep busy but it doesn't help my thoughts, I'm constantly thinking about it. And finding moments to steal to go off and test or examine myself in whatever way.
Your sympathy is greatly appreciated!

I have started CBT but am only 2 sessions in right now, so still kind if establishing a rapport with my therapist.

Am sitting on my couch now, Sunday evening should be relaxing, but my body is twitching and vibrating everywhere, my phone feels heavy in my hand and arm is getting achey from holding it, total lump in my throat and can feel it all scratchy, constant swallowing, any my leg is right and spasming and killing me!

Massive spiral for sure :(

Hxx

wnsos
07-09-14, 21:26
I wanna take these spirals of ours and tie them up and throw them away so we can all get a day and night of peace. Been examining myself all day too. Thought my ribs were a growth at one point. :doh: I hope you manage to get a bit of peace and quiet soon. One day at a time xx

LadyH
07-09-14, 21:41
Thanks for your words! These spirals seem closer together and more serious and hopeless each time. I can't even remember now the last time I felt care free, or happy or not burdened by these awful thoughts.
Hc

Serenity1990
07-09-14, 23:44
Your body is twitching everywhere. Twitches all over are not seen in MND, but are in BFS and BCFS, which are strongly linked to anxiety. Buzzing is a sensory symptom; sensory symptoms cannot be caused by MND. Ever.

And before you jump on the MS bandwagon again, you say you have symptoms all over. Diffuse symptoms are not ever MS.

You've seen your doctor and your neurological exam was fine. The chances of having MND with a normal neurological exam are slim to nonexistent. If there was obvious muscle wasting as you say your doctor would have spotted this a mile off.

LadyH
08-09-14, 13:34
Thanks Serenity,
Having someone rationalize it out, and remind me of the reasons why I DON'T have it, (when my head won't shut up telling me all the reasons that I do!), is very helpful for me.
It keeps me going really for a day atleast maybe.

I have started therapy so am beginning to work through some issues, but it takes time to build that rapport and figure things out.
In the mean time, thanks god I have you guys to stop me feeling so crazy :)

Hope everyone's having a good day
Hx

Dolphin8808
08-09-14, 14:06
What is it that you are worried of, something neurological?

LadyH
08-09-14, 14:24
Ya, my fear is the dreaded MND/ ALS. absolutely terrified all of the time, and in and out of being totally convinced and fairly certain.
Hxx