PDA

View Full Version : Heart scares have came back - please help

jenza20
15-08-14, 23:57
As a healthy anxiety sufferer for years, I thought I'd cracked it. I haven't needed to post on here for a long time but lately I've been googling my symptoms again (I know, I know), and spending ridiculous amounts of time worrying about having a sudden cardiac arrest.

In the past 2 weeks ago I had on/off palpitations and mild chest pain. I went on holiday for 10 days and apart from day 1, all symptoms of anxiety went and I had a great time. The day I came back my ex husband (still my best friend) had a sudden cardiac arrest whilst driving our 2 sons. He had managed to pull over as he felt ill then had a cardiac arrest. Against all the odds he survived but it has traumatised me. I now keep thinking it's my turn. I deep down know that my symptoms are linked to the stress & anxiety I am going through but the symptoms I'm having throughout the day (palpitations, pain in neck/throat, pain in left arm, pain in chest, feeling breathless and light headed) I know are also experienced by people with heart problems and I have come on here as I've had so much help before to get through this. I need reassurance - I know it is likely anxiety but what I need to know is if I get these problems regardless of whether I'm lying down, resting or walking, does it make a difference? Ie I have the symptoms now lying in bed. I've had them on and off for 2 days whether I'm sitting down and resting or walking about. No particular time but worse at night I think. Symptoms are stressing me out :-(

Loubylou1982
16-08-14, 10:51
I have those symptoms when I have panic attacks or when one is impending. Sounds more like anxiety to me. If we think we have an illness or disease we always seem to focus on those symptoms and then they strangely seem to manifest

Amylee1982
14-10-14, 11:25
Was there a particular reason for your husband having his cardiac arrest...mayb high bp or cholesterol or something else...does he smoke drink? I kno you say sudden but their could be a reason for it...i kno it doesnt make you feel better but mayb if you could find a reason for it then you will be reassure...im no doctor just goin from my exerpience...i always have to find a cause x

Jre89999
17-10-14, 18:53
I'm in the er as I type this. I've been having pulsations throughout my body for the last 3 days. Numb toes, numb arms, odd pains in legs, not to mention a pounding chest. I've bn struggling with anxiety and panic for years. It's a pain and will drive you insane. It sounds like you are too conscience of your internal body workings. It's hard NOT to be, I know lol. I don't even feel stressed out lately, nor over the top anxiety (which I have everyday) no matter what. It's a real pain to deal with and worse than that it's scary! Panic will make you feel like your dying and make your brain believe it 100%. Hope you feel better and as a general rule for everyone, we don't know when we'll go, so make sure to spend time with the ones you love and love you.

Junot
21-10-14, 18:27
I get those symptoms every day. Doctors say I'm fine. But as someone said, knowing what caused your husband's cardiac arrest might be reassuring. Some medicines coupled with underlying conditions patients are unaware of can cause it...

jenza20
28-01-15, 22:49
Hi, sorry for the late reply. My lack of knowledge meant I didn't explain my ex partner's cardiac arrest very well. I've since sat with him, sat with his doctors, read up his condition and know so much it's made my health anxiety worse!!

My ex husband was 50 years old. A healthy weight but a smoker (not heavy - 10 per day) and a drank lager on average 3 pints, 4-5 days per week. He worked as a groundworker so considered himself relatively fit. Approx 2 hours before he took my sons out, he was at my house complaining of heartburn. Nothing new. Then I had the most heart wrenching phonecall from my son to say he had been driving them to his house and pulled over as he felt very sick. I thank god he pulled over as he suffered a massive heart attack and went into cardiac arrest. He literally dropped dead. My sons were hysterical and passers by stopped and gave cpr on the roadside till an ambulance arrived with a defibrillator. He died 6 times. He had an unknown blocked artery and another partially blocked. He was put in hypothermia and had a stay in intensive care, followed by coronary unit. We were prepared for brain damage but miraculously he seems ok. He is a walking miracle! Our story has been in the newspaper. He is dealing very well with what has happened and although will never be able to go back to his strenuous job, is training as a counsellor. I, on the other hand am still struggling to cope due to existing and ongoing anxiety. I'm obsessed with my heart (and the hearts of all my other family.) I'm terrified. I ended up on sertraline but hated the side effects.

So answering your question, yes he did have an unknown pre existing blocked artery. He didn't lead the healthiest of lifestyles but not the unhealthiest either. I'm pleased to say since he got out of hospital he never touched a ciggie or drink since. I have up the fags there and then too! He had been treating heartburn himself for months. He realises now if he had bothered to visit the doctor it would've likely resulted in a proper check up that may have avoided all the above. But heartburn was really his only symptom.

---------- Post added at 22:49 ---------- Previous post was at 22:49 ----------

Jre89999 I hope you're ok?

Amylee1982
29-01-15, 19:39
What do you mean by heartburn cos everyone describes it different :)