PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else with astrophobia?

yiannis
16-08-14, 15:26
Hello, everybody!

It's really tough for me to talk about something so personal. Very few people in my life know about it, and even they don't seem to understand.

I am scared of stars. I can't stand the look of them, or even the thought of them. I am OK during the day, but once the night falls, I start thinking about it and avoid going outdoors. It's the only anxious thought I have, I am not concerned about any health issues. I just really can't stand the thought of the vastness of the universe, how small I am compared to how gigantic everything else is.

Anyone in here that feels the same way?

Seamus Ireland
23-09-14, 20:50
Hello,
Yes what you're describing is very common Its really a fear of not being in control people experience it in different ways such as, Fear Of Flying, Agrophobia, Lighting Storms, Crowded Places, Anywhere where they feel they are not in-control. Psychotherapy will cure it, CBT will reduce the scary feelings.

BEST OF LUCK

GingerFish
19-10-14, 14:08
Yes I have this too. My bf likes to drive us up to the carrick hills on clear nights and you get a great view of our town and surrounding areas and also the stars and ever since I developed panic disorder, I get panicky when I look up at the stars and it doesn't help that I have vertigo so looking up makes me feel dizzy and brings on a panic. Looking up at the night sky used to fill me with awe but now it makes me feel a bit closed in.

I thought it was just me who felt like this.

Jherron
11-12-15, 05:26
This might be part of what set me off. I still love astronomy but I went through a phase where looking up made feel so small. I had deep philosophical thoughts that lasted a month. I was almost constantly aware of the fact that I was small in the big picture. I even thought about how all the cells in my body make me up. I hope I never go down that thought process path again. I thought by knowing about the universe would be a good thing. It wasn't once it flipped one me. I then realized that it was simply the devil using my knowledge and gifts against me. I thought nothing I did would be good enough for salvation. I then realized I was saved when I was 12 and have been ever since. It was the adversary trying to steal my crown. I battle spiritually everyday so I must be doing something right. Next time your out under the heavens ask God for a shooting star (meteor). I tell you the truth, he has sent me several as reminders of his awesome power. There is no possible way that it could have been coincidence.

Randara
13-12-15, 21:41
My fear of this comes and goes. I remember as a child staying awake at night thinking about the universe and just being so scared. I just saw an article on the BBC too which refreshed my anxiety. It's so hard to comprehend something is big that we have no impact upon and cannot control. I don't get it.

MissyMischief
13-12-15, 23:15
For me, thinking about the vastness of space makes me feel small and insignificant, but it's kind of a comforting feeling. It makes my own problems and fears seem kind of insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

But I can understand how it could have the completely opposite effect for someone. Making you feel small, insignificant, not in control, anything could happen etc...etc...

Maybe try opening up to others you are close to. I've opened up to people about my emetophobia and agoraphobia, and it does help. Counseling might be something to consider, too.

Good luck!

Resea19
08-02-16, 11:54
For me, it's space in general that freaks me out. I cannot stand looking at pictures of planets/black holes and anything else because its the unknown that scares me.
I find that knowing a lot of other people having the same attitude towards space a relief because I know that I'm not alone and neither are you :bighug1:

lecole
14-02-16, 14:06
Yup! I never really had a problem with them before and was actually debating getting a telescope last year. I think it's just the doom feeling of 'the unknown'? Definitely worth looking into CBT :)

Best of luck!

Hello, everybody!

It's really tough for me to talk about something so personal. Very few people in my life know about it, and even they don't seem to understand.

I am scared of stars. I can't stand the look of them, or even the thought of them. I am OK during the day, but once the night falls, I start thinking about it and avoid going outdoors. It's the only anxious thought I have, I am not concerned about any health issues. I just really can't stand the thought of the vastness of the universe, how small I am compared to how gigantic everything else is.

Anyone in here that feels the same way?