PDA

View Full Version : can't get it off my mind...

manda8801
21-12-06, 23:08
I don't know if this is a normal part to this whole anxiety thing, but i have always been one to think things over... but lately it's been a bit too much. i tend to over-analyze everything people say and it often leads to me blowing up at my boyfriend who really loves me and is trying to help but is getting fed up with my attitudes. I just had a PA last night and have not slept, and i tried going to school but could not manage to sit through an entire period. my mind will just not get over the worry of this attack.

it all starts before I attempt sleep- my mind is full of thoughts, and then once i settle down the wrong breathing will start up, and i'll start thinking about fixing it, start counting, but soon my heart will race up, and by this point i'm breathing heavy, my hearts racing, my minds racing, and my body is numb and tingling. I am totally scared and need help. is this normal?!?!!?

Also, is it a bad idea to take Tylenol PM just so i will be guarenteed to sleep because my body totally needs it.

Thank you all so much!

Amanda

shoegal
22-12-06, 04:29
Anxiety makes you over analyse everything by it's very nature. When you are anxious, all your senses are alert so you just can't help worrying about everything you are feeling. The trouble is, worrying about it makes the anxiety worse so it's a vicious circle!
Please try not to worry about having an attack as the attacks themselves cannot hurt you. They feel really horrible, but they do pass.
When you are trying to sleep and your mind starts racing, try to make your mind go completely blank. It's really hard, I have difficulty with this myself. But eventually your mind will get so bored of trying to think of absolutely nothing that you will fall asleep! When you start thinking about your breathing, take a deep breath and turn over and deliberately think about something else. Your body can regulate it's own breathing and will go back to normal as soon as you stop concentrating on it.
It's a good idea not to take anything to help you sleep because you can get hooked on it, but if you really think you need something, please speak to your Doctor who will prescribe something suited to your own particular needs. Have you tried any relaxation techniques or relaxation tapes or cd's? They are good for helping you fall asleep.
Good Luck [^]

looking4answers
22-12-06, 09:53
Actually tylenol pm gives you somewhat of a hangover feeling but alieve works really well with no lasting effect..Just the regular alieve...I am like the other person that post..eventually you will get so tired of worrying your body will get to the point it doesnt care..its funny I actually got to feeling this way when I went to the philippines..its 21 hours by air.. longest flight 14 hours straight..you dont think i was freaking..well the first flight I didnt sleep any i was so panicky that i couldn't and by the time I got there i was so tired it wasn't hard to sleep after..but when we were coming back I was so tired on that segmant 14 hours..I went to sleep and woke and we were trying to out run a typhoon.. and it was severe turbulance..I just woke and said .. let us crash who cares..I mean your body reaches that point. One little pointer I can give you is read buddist text about fear and dying.. before you go to bed.. also when you are there just let your body relax go limp and then blank your mind and start counting backwards from 1000 and visualize the numbers..I have never reached 1...not even close and I was fast asleep..Hope this helps.. and you will be fine..dont worry..

PRAYER FOR FREEDOM FROM SUFFERING

May all beings everywhere plagued
with sufferings of body and mind
quickly be freed from their illnesses.
May those frightened cease to be afraid,
and may those bound be free.
May the powerless find power,
and may people think of befriending each other.
May those who find themselves in trackless, fearful wilderness--
the children, the aged, the unprotected--
be guarded by beneficent celestials,
and may they swiftly attain Buddhahood.