PDA

View Full Version : It's that time again....

Fishmanpa
16-08-14, 23:33
Yep... it's three months since the last check up. It's off to Baltimore on Tuesday for the 'ol scope, poke and prod. Interestingly enough, I'm really calm about it and haven't needed the chill pills. I don't need any blood work as it's been good. Thyroid is holding up. There's nothing really out of the ordinary that has me concerned. Mind you, the ordinary for me would send most off the deep end ~lol~

Here's to meeting Mr. NED once again. I'll let you all know what they say.

Positive thoughts

SADnomore
16-08-14, 23:44
All the best, Mark! :yesyes: Keep us posted. :flowers:
Marie

KeeKee
17-08-14, 00:17
Hope everything goes well.

swgrl09
17-08-14, 03:20
Good luck! I'm glad you are feeling calm about it. Keep us posted!

spuder
17-08-14, 10:50
Good luck hope all goes well :hugs:

Magic
17-08-14, 11:23
Good Luck Fishman:hugs:

Catherine S
17-08-14, 11:44
Best wishes Mark :)

Tanner40
17-08-14, 13:47
Will be thinking about you Fishmanpa. I just know that the tests will all turn out great. Glad to hear that you're feeling calm about it all.

xBettyBoopx
18-08-14, 02:05
I hope everything went well for you Fishmanpa:yesyes:

Please let us know.

Els

SarahH
18-08-14, 17:31
Good luck..a little late I know... hope all went well:)

Fishmanpa
20-08-14, 02:57
All is well... Got a NED report.

That being said, the side effects I experience are pretty much there for life. I may improve a bit here and there but unlikely. Due to the radiation fields, my saliva production is pretty compromised and that's unlikely to really improve either. The other thing that is a bit disconcerting has to do with my heart.

I've had two heart attacks prior to cancer and treatment. Chemo does a number on the circulatory system and radiation to diseased blood vessels can be troublesome, especially for the arteries in my head and neck. What that means is that I'm a higher risk for stroke and heart attack.

My Radiation Oncologist said to take care of myself by exercising and eating right, both of which I could do a better job at. There's just not enough research or statistics as to the actual risks but he is obviously concerned.

Great eh? So no more salami or bacon and time to lay off my vice... ice cream :( Gonna have to start getting out for walks more often no matter how tired I feel.

BUT... no cancer and that's huge!

Positive thoughts

swgrl09
20-08-14, 03:19
That's wonderful news!!!! I'm sorry to hear about the other concerns, but no cancer is worth a celebration. I can't imagine what it's like, however, to live with the permanent effects. You are an inspiration to all of us, especially me with HA. If you can truly live your life with what you have been through, then I should be able to enjoy mine.

Very happy for you :hugs:

SADnomore
20-08-14, 05:37
All is well that ends well, Mark! :yesyes: Sorry about the ongoing side effects and risk factors created by your cancer treatment, very happy to hear you got the all-clear re: cancer!

Wondering if you take a blood thinner? I have a friend who has had two heart attacks, and she normally takes one, although they have taken her off of it from time to time. She has had surgeries related to her abdomen and they take her off ahead of time, but she mentioned one time that one of her doctors had taken her off of it months before, anyway. How's your cholesterol? (Oh, aren't I the nosy parker? :roflmao:)

So, more fish, less red meat? Can you still have your (very) occasional beer or glass of wine, did he say? I went pescatarian many years ago and I feel SO much better overall! My cholesterol is good, and I don't eat shellfish every week anyway ... but it's worth noting that shrimp is about the worst thing a person can eat when it comes to cholesterol.

Well, good news, and good that you are in agreement and ready to make a few changes :bighug1: I'm sure your lovely wife wouldn't mind getting out for walks with you, as well!
Fill us in on how it goes, okay? We can probably pick up a bit of motivation from you! :flowers:
Marie

Catherine S
20-08-14, 10:46
Great news Mark :) X

bernie1977
20-08-14, 11:37
Great news Fishmanpa. Good luck with the lifestyle changes x

Tanner40
20-08-14, 11:57
Excellent news Fishmanpa. I'm so happy to hear that the cancer is at bay and that you're doing well. I can empathize about the ice cream though. That's a tough one. Hope everything else is going well.

Fishmanpa
20-08-14, 12:50
All is well that ends well, Mark! :yesyes: Sorry about the ongoing side effects and risk factors created by your cancer treatment, very happy to hear you got the all-clear re: cancer!

Wondering if you take a blood thinner? I have a friend who has had two heart attacks, and she normally takes one, although they have taken her off of it from time to time. She has had surgeries related to her abdomen and they take her off ahead of time, but she mentioned one time that one of her doctors had taken her off of it months before, anyway. How's your cholesterol? (Oh, aren't I the nosy parker? :roflmao:)

So, more fish, less red meat? Can you still have your (very) occasional beer or glass of wine, did he say? I went pescatarian many years ago and I feel SO much better overall! My cholesterol is good, and I don't eat shellfish every week anyway ... but it's worth noting that shrimp is about the worst thing a person can eat when it comes to cholesterol.

Well, good news, and good that you are in agreement and ready to make a few changes :bighug1: I'm sure your lovely wife wouldn't mind getting out for walks with you, as well!
Fill us in on how it goes, okay? We can probably pick up a bit of motivation from you! :flowers:
Marie

Thanks Marie and everyone....

So... yes... I'm on several meds for life. I take two blood pressure/beta blockers, a blood thinner and an aspirin a day, a PPI and a meds for nerve pain, a statin as well as OTC and prescription pain meds. I discussed the chronic pain with my team and other than stronger drugs, it is what it is. It was suggested to up the dose on the nerve pain meds to see if that may help so I'm going to increase it by 1 dose a day and see it that helps.

My blood work is great. I always had cholesterol and triglyceride issues but after cancer and losing 65+lbs, my bloods were perfect! I don't recommend my diet however ;) I've put on 20lbs since treatment and I'm at a very good weight. I don't eat much red meat at all because frankly I can't (too hard to swallow). I mostly eat chicken and fish anyway. My wife is an amazing cook and I'm no slouch in the kitchen either. We stay away from processed foods and cook from scatch with olive oil etc. I eat healthy 80+% of the time so getting to 90+% will be easy. And yes, that occasional beer or two is fine by my team :D I'm not a drinker any more but I really do enjoy a quality brew with a good meal now and again.

Exercise is the most difficult as fatigue is still a huge side effect of treatment. I'm just going to have to push through it. This stuff about the heart is troublesome. I was extremely fit when I had my first heart attack at 47 and the 2nd showed three additional arteries almost totally blocked. With disease still apparent in x rays, I'm going to have to be attentive and make a more concerted effort to keep it in check. I see my cardiologist next month and we'll discuss it.

Being NED is huge though. The stats on recurrence are sobering to say the least (50/50 in the 1st two years) and my MO mentioned she had a rough day as two of her patients were recommended hospice care. It's a very sobering disease. I'm at 15 months post treatment. At 24 months my odds improve dramatically. It's my goal to get there. In fact, "when" I do, I will be getting some new ink to commemorate the moment.

Positive thoughts

swgrl09
20-08-14, 18:07
Wow, I didn't realize the statistics were like that about the first two years. You already are doing better than most.

I had a coworker who had lymphoma and after she was cancer free, she suffered from fatigue a lot as well. She said she never really felt normal again. She ended up going to a nutritionist, who gave her a lot of information on specific foods to eat that would help her energy levels. If you've already done that, then I apologize for being redundant! Just a thought though.

SarahH
21-08-14, 12:56
Well done Mark great news overall:)

Magic
21-08-14, 16:21
Sending you some hugs fishman.:hugs::hugs::hugs:you will get to your goal x

NE21 worrier
22-08-14, 00:23
Glad to hear it, Fishmanpa - fingers crossed you get to your goal :)

TooMuchToLiveFor
26-08-14, 02:43
Ahhhh,….so glad to hear it, Mark!
I think of you often concerning your own story, and your story is often instigated in my mind as my mom just got her first NED after the war she has gone through this last year.
Fight on, my friend!

KLP
29-08-14, 18:09
Hi FMP

Good doing fib fab, and your standing tall. Hope your still playing ya tunes.

KLP XX

Carnation
29-08-14, 18:17
Hi Fishmanpa.
Do you get a lot of comfort from Music? Is it Guitar you play? What sort of music do play most? I find Music very good therapy for nearly everything. It has to come from the soul and I can't live without it. :)

Fishmanpa
29-08-14, 18:42
Hi FMP

Good doing fib fab, and your standing tall. Hope your still playing ya tunes.

KLP XX

KLP! :) How the heck are ya? I'm back out performing. In fact, I have 2 gigs this Labor Day Weekend. The voice is Ok. Lost my high end and stamina but I can still perform. Hope you're using those golden pipes of yours and out there as well! Great to hear from you!

Hi Fishmanpa.
Do you get a lot of comfort from Music? Is it Guitar you play? What sort of music do play most? I find Music very good therapy for nearly everything. It has to come from the soul and I can't live without it. :)

Yes, Carnation. I don't know what I'd do without my music. It's the essence of who I am. I'm SO blessed to have done what I enjoy for a career (I'm in the music business besides performing) and very fortunate that my cancer didn't take away my voice.

I'm a guitarist/vocalist and I call what I play "Eclectic Acoustic Ear Candy". I do a mix of music from the 60's to current and tend to choose things you don't normally hear, Jethro Tull, Lyle Lovett, Cat Stevens, Songs from the TV show Scrubs to classical pieces and instrumentals etc.

Positive thoughts

Carnation
29-08-14, 18:59
I have never heard of "Eclectic Acoustic Ear Candy", but sounds fascinating. My Partner is a professional musician and spent a lot of his Life in Texas and worked with Johnny Winter, Joe Guitar Hughs, Grady Gaines and Trudi Lynn. Have you heard of any of these? Unfortunately He ended up in not so sunny Britain. But, if he hadn't have come here, I would not have met him. We both have a huge passion for Music and we met through music as well. I think playing, listening and dancing is the best Therapy/comfort you can get. There's nothing better than a bit of Blues at Midnight. :)

MRS STRESS ED
29-08-14, 19:02
Hi fishmanpa first of all great news ,secondly what's you're secret you've faced one of the worse things imaginable ,you didn't just face it you battled it and won then there's you're heart issues :D

And you still stay positive ,you are an inspiration to me and many others here ,you seem so focused and strong ,I wish I could be half the person you are xxxx

I truly wish you good health and along happy life and thanks for your positivity :hugs:

Fishmanpa
29-08-14, 19:25
I have never heard of "Eclectic Acoustic Ear Candy", but sounds fascinating. My Partner is a professional musician and spent a lot of his Life in Texas and worked with Johnny Winter, Joe Guitar Hughs, Grady Gaines and Trudi Lynn. Have you heard of any of these? Unfortunately He ended up in not so sunny Britain. But, if he hadn't have come here, I would not have met him. We both have a huge passion for Music and we met through music as well. I think playing, listening and dancing is the best Therapy/comfort you can get. There's nothing better than a bit of Blues at Midnight. :)

Of course I've heard of those folks... legends! Johnny just passed away. I guess you can describe what I do as B side stuff. Songs that people may have heard but not typically something you'd hear others play. For me, especially in light of having cancer, music provides a comfort and res-bit from the daily struggle of maintaining normalcy.

Positive thoughts

Catherine S
29-08-14, 19:39
I love my music too...couldn't live without it and how fab to hear about all the musicians and people connected to the music business on the forum, including AnxietyDJ who also works in the music industry. I myself was a nightclub singer back in the day, not professional but had loads of fun :)

Any more musicians out there?

ISB x

Carnation
29-08-14, 19:43
I like that Fishmanpa. Stuff you don't normally hear, but is just as good, sometimes better. I hate it when you go to see a band and you always hear them playing stuff like' Brown-eyed Girl'. not that I have anything against 'Van Morrison'; I don't want him coming round and beating me up!
Anyway, I think you are brilliant. You are so positive all the time and are always helping others. I think you are a Living Legend on here!:yesyes:

Sunflower2
29-08-14, 20:27
Any more musicians out there?

ISB x

Piano player here! I find that playing music you can just pour your soul into the music and when things are really getting to you it's just such a good way to release tension! And then with all that emotion it makes your music sound even better! When I'm away from my piano for a few days I miss it so much and feel a bit lost without it!

Tessar
29-08-14, 20:41
You are a very brave man, Mark. I seriously take my hat off to you.....
What you endure every day makes me feel very, very grateful to have my health.
It is really good to read of your progress. Also your determination too. Respect.

Fishmanpa
29-08-14, 21:22
Thanks Tess... I really appreciate that. I don't like to complain (and what good would it do me anyway? ~lol~) but sometimes the "new normal" sucks big time! But I work on it every day and if I'm having a moment (or a few), at least I know it's just a moment (and I'm having one today... Uggghh).

Positive thoughts

Tessar
29-08-14, 21:33
I am not surprised at all you are having a moment. Not like I am an expert in these matters (far from it) but I would have soooo many moments...... I have moments as it is & don't have all the rubbish to put up with like you do...... Anyway, you are allowed moments, they aren't very pleasant to contend with but I suppose they come with this new territory you are in?

Fishmanpa
29-08-14, 21:55
I am not surprised at all you are having a moment. Not like I am an expert in these matters (far from it) but I would have soooo many moments...... I have moments as it is & don't have all the rubbish to put up with like you do...... Anyway, you are allowed moments, they aren't very pleasant to contend with but I suppose they come with this new territory you are in?

Yeah... lots of unpleasant side effects from treatment. I have Ok days and not so Ok days but never a day that I don't deal with "something" from the treatment. That being said, I'm so blessed in so many ways and I try to focus on that when things are not so Ok.

Positive thoughts