PDA

View Full Version : Feeling anxious after caffeine ingestion - do you get this as well?

Junot
17-08-14, 15:02
I've been trying to avoid caffeine, but sometimes I can't help it because I love lattes. I've just had one and now I'm feeling "anxious". The symptoms set in almost immediately after I finish drinking. I usually get the following symptoms after caffeine ingestion (I'm experiencing them now):
- unspecific nervousness
- bloated stomach
- chest discomfort
- dizziness
- urgency to evacuate
It's like I'm on my way to a full-blown panic attack. Do you get these symptoms as well? Should I absolutely stop caffeine ingestion or are these symptoms harmless?

swanick15
17-08-14, 15:29
Drink decaff coffee and lattes

Junot
17-08-14, 15:47
Drink decaff coffee and lattes

Hope it works. I've stopped eating all the kind of crap that made me feel a bit less anxious (chocolate, cakes) so I wouldn't like to have coffee out of my list of pleasures.

spacebunnyx
17-08-14, 16:00
Yes, you can guarantee I will have an anxiety episode the day I have caffeine

yenool
04-09-14, 18:44
Today I had a couple of large glasses of pepsi max and I've felt on edge and a bit jittery all afternoon. This is not the first time I've had this reaction but today it was particularly strong.

I don't think caffeinated drinks are a good choice for people with anxiety issues..... or if you must then stick to a small serving.

Jubnut
04-09-14, 19:06
yes!

Usually one cup is enough but if I want to cause an attack two will definitely do it.

It feels like there's something extra on my upper abdomen and it's hard to breath on top what you described. Funny enough coke etc don't cause it for me, at least not so effectively.

yenool
04-09-14, 20:13
yes!

Usually one cup is enough but if I want to cause an attack two will definitely do it.

It feels like there's something extra on my upper abdomen and it's hard to breath on top what you described. Funny enough coke etc don't cause it for me, at least not so effectively.

Exactly. For me it feels like I just can't quite catch my breath, probably because I'm breathing too fast and shallow. Plus it sometimes triggers racing thought and worries about all sorts of nonsense. Once I realise what is happening and why I make an effort to slow my breathing down.

I've sometimes had a similar effect from a Starbucks / Costa latte before (I never remember to order decaf) but never from coffee made at home. I suspect the take away coffee is stronger.

Brunette
04-09-14, 20:32
You should avoid caffeine completely if you have anxiety.

Carnation
04-09-14, 22:12
Just a point about Lattes. If you have one at 'Café Nero' it is stronger as they use two shots. So, you have to ask for a mild Latte. Costa Coffee only use one shot. I can only manage one a day, it's a shame because I really love them.