PDA

View Full Version : Work Worries

robinsky
18-08-14, 14:00
Hi

I was off work for the best part of four months, due to issues with workplace stress and also a 'back' problem.

Recently, I returned to work and it was very difficult to adjust after all that time off (I was still very stressed). Some of the things I had to put up with back at work was:

1) Changes in working hours - I wasn't informed that working hours were changed and was only consulted through another colleague who had made a call to my Line Manager, who agreed to the changes, without having the courtesy of coming through me first.

2) I was sorting the afternoon mail when I was told the front of house had a package to collect - I said I couldn't as I was busy with the process. The same thing happened the next day, a customer complained and it got back to a senior colleague. I was then told to collect the item and return to the office. The front of house cannot take items in yet they were magazines which had already been distributed. They can take certain items in which are under the same risk as taking the magazines in e.g. health and safety/theft. However, there is absolutely no way these magazines would have endangered anyone's welfare, in either case. I can't see where I am being unreasonable by saying I could collect the magazines once I had finished the mail, despite policies in place and the fact I was on my own.

3) Two packages came into the office which were not labelled appropriately and I was informed they should have gone to another department - how is this my fault if the packages cannot be labelled appropriately? Also, I made all attempts to contact the relevant department to collect the item as soon as possible.

4) The same senior colleague complained about post which had come in and not been redirected in good time. The fact of the matter is, the post had only come in that day and to process it within 24 hours is a reasonable time scale. Also, any post sent to an individual should be addressed properly, regardless. Also, its not that common for someone to ring up and complain they haven't received a letter and furthermore, when I returned from work, I found redirection post all over the place, so if they felt it was *that* important, they would have taken steps to ensure the post would have been distributed immediately.

I have made some mistakes since being back at work, but this has all been down to stress and anxiety, having been off work for four months and through an internal investigation and had medical issues. Am I wrong to expect a bit of support and kindness, instead of being subject to, in my opinion, childish procedures?

Finally, in regards to sick, I have been signed off for six weeks with a 'back' problem and said I would return on 15 September. I did return originally for three weeks after my four month absence but then became ill again and it turns out my 'back' problem was quite a complex issue. I have asked if they can substitute three days (12-14 Sep) for annual leave since on the 12th, my SSP runs out. Seems a bit unreasonable to put me on half pay for the sake of three days, but if that's the case, that's the case.

I have inquired about an office move since my life is a living hell, working in childish circumstances but being back at work after medical issues (which are still ongoing) and an internal investigation has taken the gloss off working in this place now and I am struggling to see a way forward. Should I just bite the bullet and resign or lay down the law to them, but in a constructive way and see where that takes me, because I do believe I have received some fairly unreasonable treatment, particularly on my return.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Regards

Rob

AnxietyDJ
18-08-14, 15:42
Hi Rob,

This sounds like a complex one - sorry to hear about everything you've been through.

With regards to being off work, I am assuming you have gone through your GP to achieve this? If so, you can ask them to provide you with a 'fit note' to notify your employer that you need certain provisions in the work place in order for you to return successfully and maintain full health - if you feel that you need this, of course. For example, an ex-colleague had a serious back problem, so my employer purchased a desk that could move up and down, so he was able to stand up and work for periods of the day.

Regarding the issues you have experienced with colleagues and clients, all you can do is arrange a meeting with your boss / HR to talk through your side of things, if you feel you are being unfairly treated.

Obviously I am neither a medical or legal professional, so this is only my opinion - please consult with the appropriate people who are qualified to give you the correct advice :)

Good luck - I hope everything works out for you.

MyNameIsTerry
19-08-14, 04:06
Hi Rob,

I think if your work is making you feel worse, you should look at your options. I remember your case and I remember you were unhappy with the treatment.

Think of it this way - constructive dismissal is notoriously difficult to prove. I've been a manager myself and I am fully aware that it is possible to poke & prod people over trivial issues in an attempt to force them out - so they leave - thats constructive dismissal. I've not done this myself and would never dream of doing it, but I've worked with managers who wouldnt care if they made you ill in the process.

Some of the things you have mentioned, to me, seem a bit trivial i.e. they didn't need to be that bothered about it, so I wonder whether you are seeing things for more than they are because of the history or whether they are playing their little games? Does that make sense?

Some managers are just inadequates, from my experience, and some just want to blame others as they don't understand the concept of fairness. These types can be picky and blame people regardless of why was to blame, it's just you were there when they fancied having a go at someone. You can't win with these types, you tend to find someone is crapping on them from above, hence it travelling down in some unconnected manner.

If you did what was expected of you, there was no issues. Was this the case?

robinsky
19-08-14, 10:48
Good Morning,

Thank you for the advice. Yes, the way that I see it, is that I have been off for four months with stress, due to an internal investigation and also medical issues, which I shall dub as 'back' issues, without going into too much graphic detail.

I went back for three weeks and, as outlined with the issues above, I was already stressed to the core anyway and because of that, was making the odd mistakes here and there, but when you have been away for that amount of time and have other worries, that is to be expected. Whilst I appreciate that I should not have moaned about a colleague behind their back and not being fully aware of the facts, it doesn't detract from the fact they could have shown a bit more kindness and understanding, in my time of need.

Furthermore, I do believe that the things I discussed above are of a trivial nature but the problem is, the workplace has always been like this and it seems to me nobody really gave two hoots about my issues, really, when all said and done and if management can be manipulated by other people who work in the building, what chance do I have of having a voice of my own and giving the office its own mark? Simple answer is, I don't, really.

Its interesting Terry, what you said about trying to force me out. I think they are, but they know they can't fire me, in that respect, because if they could, I think they might have tried to find a way to do it. Seeing as I've done nothing wrong, it makes it that more difficult for them, so they are trying to put me elsewhere, which I agreed to, since working in the job with those types of people is enough to drive anyone mad, to be honest.

To be honest, I've been told I can't leave my job to go into another position until that position has been filled, but even a day of working in the office is traumatic, because you're being picked on for trivial things and its very childish indeed. With everything I've been through, I think I could do with a change and am considering my options, but don't really know what to do for the best. I could sit down and talk the issues through with management, but the type of environment I work in is very lifeless and there's definitely no evidence of closeness at all. Since the conclusion of the investigation, things have only served to get worse and I know at the end of the day that my Trade Union said it was all rubbish, so I go by the expert's opinion, so I know I can go to work with my head held high. Problem is, you get brought down by the very politics and attitudes of everyone else within the job, which makes motivation for a job that's caused so many issues, even more difficult.

MyNameIsTerry
20-08-14, 04:01
You have to do what is best for you and your help Rob, employers that don't appreciate their staff shouldn't be afforded any loyalty. I've been here with my last role and despite saving them a fortune each year, I was treated poorly and it was all about people saving themselves at the cost of my health. Those individuals will have to live with that behaviour and I hope they don't suffer mental health problems, which I wouldn't wish on anybody, because they may look back on their behaviour and feel bad about it. On the other hand, being the nasty individuals they are, they certainly won't think anything of it without something like this happening to them.

The problem is, in some workplaces if you rause a complaint you hit the blacklist and you stay there until those managers have left. It doesn't matter if you save the business single handed, they will still treat you the same after the false platitudes. Work has always been this way and always will be, so only fight it if you have a really good reason to - if not, look to your health because they won't.

So, if you have followed procedure as set by your seniors, if they still blame you and there wasn't something you could have done to avoid it (for instance, if you 'work to rule' there could be blame on your side) then they intend to blame you whether you do it right or wrong.

So, be sure of that and determine what you could do to improve those processes. If that still doesn't change their attitude to you, then it comes down to popularity, backlists, poor managers, etc.

But as ever, do what it best for you, workplaces come and go but your health is one of the most important things you will ever have.

robinsky
21-08-14, 10:16
I agree Terry, 100%.

blueangel
21-08-14, 11:03
Hi Rob,

I think if your work is making you feel worse, you should look at your options. I remember your case and I remember you were unhappy with the treatment.

Think of it this way - constructive dismissal is notoriously difficult to prove. I've been a manager myself and I am fully aware that it is possible to poke & prod people over trivial issues in an attempt to force them out - so they leave - thats constructive dismissal. I've not done this myself and would never dream of doing it, but I've worked with managers who wouldnt care if they made you ill in the process.

Some of the things you have mentioned, to me, seem a bit trivial i.e. they didn't need to be that bothered about it, so I wonder whether you are seeing things for more than they are because of the history or whether they are playing their little games? Does that make sense?

Some managers are just inadequates, from my experience, and some just want to blame others as they don't understand the concept of fairness. These types can be picky and blame people regardless of why was to blame, it's just you were there when they fancied having a go at someone. You can't win with these types, you tend to find someone is crapping on them from above, hence it travelling down in some unconnected manner.

If you did what was expected of you, there was no issues. Was this the case?

FWIW, I agree with lots of this. I think we had a discussion before about your issues.

My main bits of advice would be:

1. If your back problem is likely to continue for 12 months or more, you will fall under the remit of the 2010 Equalities Act and so can request reasonable adjustments. "Reasonable" is difficult to define, but there is lots of information on the web
2. If you possibly can, try and let the petty stuff go over your head
3. If you're not in a union, join one

Cheers
BA