PDA

View Full Version : Just a suggestion for panic attacks.

Children_of_God
22-12-06, 11:57
Hi, well I still have anxiety so this isn't a suggestion to try and get yourself better but this is something i've found to do when I am getting panicky and it has helped me in the past so I thought I'd share.

What I do when I feel a panic attack coming on or I'm just feeling rather panic is I write myself a reassurence letter. now you can either write this with a pen and paper or if you don't feel good enough to do that type it as a new message in your phone.

I write about the fact that I've felt that way before and survived, I write logical reasons as so why I'm probably feeling that way, I remind myself that panic can not harm you, if you live with someone remind yourself they are there and will look after you, and i remind myself that gos is watching over me. you can write whatever you want, anything that reassures you. let your body relax while you're doing it, maybe lay down if it helps. and I find by the time i'm finished with the letter i'm usually feeling a heck of alot more relax than when I started.

it has never worked for me just reading the letter the next time i get panicky so i just write a new one. i think it's because it destracts you, keeps you thinking and stuff and reminding yourself of posotive and logical things.

anyways give it a try, it could really work for you = )

hope this helps and take care.

"Everything's good in the end, if it's not good, it's not the end!!!"

darkangel
22-12-06, 12:23
hi

thats a really good idea. A bit like CBT where you write down your automatic thoughts and then think about alternative more balanced thoughts and the panic does subside.

You are so right about needing to write it down the next time as it is not only a distraction - but a positive one. The next step is maybe to add "I accept how I am right now" and let it pass - say something like - "ok, i am feeling anxious but I know I have been like this many times before and I am safe and well".

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

Piglet
22-12-06, 13:41
Very good idea! :D

Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

sylvia
07-02-07, 14:25
Hi
Tip!
LAUGHTER

I sing a little nussary rhyme to myself....4 and 20 blackbirds baked in a pie.. it just goes on and on and I forget what the panic is for however though this helps a panic attack can be instant and I don't get time to sing my little tune! I have a lovely memory of Dad, legs crossed, singing this, with the baby riding on his bobbing shoe whilst he gently held their hands - the babe grining happily, whilst teething and dribbling... I'll stop there!
Sylvia

SJR