PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety-the way back to a normal life

rossthekid
18-08-14, 18:30
Hey guys,
I have decided to write a sort of diary account of my road back away from this terrible thing we all call anxiety. Hopefully it will have the benefit for me in to see my progress and if successful it will help other people who suffer.
I think it is always best to give a brief background on my life and the trouble this feeling has caused me. 13 years ago I was a typical 26 year old guy. I had recently got married and had just had our first child. I had a busy stressful job in the NHS which was quite traumatic at times and i had the normal outside life stressors that we all do. Money bills etc. To be honest I was a worrier, but hey so was my mum, and I would probably over analyse things far to much but that was me. My son was 1 and he was the worst sleeper ever. I worked loads of different shifts and my body as knackered both physically and mentally. I had noticed some minor gastric problems and had a horrible experience with choking fairly recently prior to my first panic attack. Can you believe that it came on whilst driving to work singing to Robbie Williams.
I didn't know what it was, what had happened to me? I was dizzy and sick and couldn't stand up straight. I got home and later felt a bit better. I was signed off work as soon after the symptoms seem to get worse. I was agitated and at times could not stand still. I walked every day for long periods. The thought of driving my car made me ill.
I went to a few doctors at that time and they tested me for everything. There must be a reason for this. They thought diabetes and I was nearly hospitalised at one time. I styed home as this felt the safest place. But even there were times I could not sit upright in a chair. All my tests were normal, of course but that caused me more concern what was it? A couple of doctors suggested I just take things easy, go for a drink etc, relax. Eventually one GP first mentioned anxiety. It was like a light switched on, not that he explained much but at least I had an avenue to explore options and google search engine became my new best friend. Eventually the GP discussed medication as an option, CBT would be good but you had to wait 3 months to see anybody.
Medication was described to me as trying to find a key to the anxiety relief door as different meds worked for different people. It was also explained that it would take some time before I would notice the benefits, great I thought why could it not be like paracetamol for a headache. So we tried and off course the side effects on certain ones forced me to change meds and quickly. I must have tried 6 or 7 different ones over a quick period. Initially they made me feel great for 24 hours even manic but then the bad stuff happened. Eventually I found one that didn't have severe side effects but just made me numb and tired and that was escitalopram. I took 20 mgs at night and I could sort of function, with difficulty but function.
Over the next few years I managed to return to work, take exams and pass more degrees. The negatives were I was really a shell, I had lost me, I was irritable, tired, lost interest in what I used to do. Wow what a catch my wife is a lucky girl. But in truth there was nothing I could do, this was me now.

Was I a great father, not really, was I a great husband not really, did I laugh and enjoy life, yes but it was fleeting. Through this time, periodically I would see CBT or my Gp to review things. There were times where I would think I need to get off this meds or increase dosage but nothing really worked, if anything things would be unstable until I returned to my optimal dose. I did try to stop the meds twice but after about 1 week I would phone the GP panicking as I felt the worst ever and he just restarted the dose and within a couple of days I retuned to this me again.

My family were great and my parents knew all about anxiety as both of them had similar episodes in there life. They just kept saying time is a healer, it will get better. However I had one boss when this started say to me you do realise you need to give yourself a shake. That helps right.

I had removed all my life stressors even moved jobs to an area of less stress. I had tried everything from hypnosis to counselling.
I just felt like rubbish.

About 6 months ago I started to notice that I had increased anxiety feelings even though I was still on the meds. Suttle to begin with i.e. sore neck, more blurred vision etc. I saw the GP who said I had strained something. It was like tooth ache. I was in a meeting and suddenly felt like a minor tremor, a wave of cortisone rushing over my body. I noticed I could sit at lunch times. Something was not right. I explained to the GP who said the escitalopram and run its course, time for a change. He asked me what I would like to try next. Can u believe that. I went for Prozac, why I am not to sure, but hey in the long run it turned out to be an inspired choice.

This med made me feel awful, and I mean off work awful. The next 2 months were spent having side effects of one dose, side effects of increasing dose and finally side effects of reducing dose. It was hell. I had enough I went in and was so angry. I don't know me anymore what am I treating. Its been 13 years and I am medicating something I am not to sure is there. I was so confused. In my heart I knew this was the right thing to do, so I stopped everything. A huge decision after so long, a risk you might say. The reason I say Prozac was an inspired choice was due to much research I realised it is the drug of choice on which to withdraw from as it has a long half life meaning the side effects were not to bad.

I researched medication, read patient stories and soon realised that I had been medicating myself for years as my withdrawal had been difficult from escitlopram. Have I had a GP state this to me, No, did they advise me properly on withdrawal previously No. I had accidently chosen the best drug to come off and find my baseline.

It feels strange after no meds for 2 months. My anxiety is a sort of chronic mild case. I don't suffer from panic attack it just feels constant mild agitation. My main issues are tiredness from fatigue and anything physical drains me beyond running a marathon. I went back to CBT. Hey ive taken my plaster cast of so maybe I can now physio myself, was my thought.

I started some mindfulness guided mediation. Just 20 mins a day, which is so nice to get a small break from the constant. But my break through seems to have came from a chance internet search and a book by Paul David entitled A life at last. The reviews were great and he has been through this rollercoster. He make you understand, stops you battling it, constantly questioning. My body is tired, my mind id tired for 13 years of chronic worry and questioning. Why me? Why do I feel like this? When will I get better? My brain needs a rest. I am not battling anxiety issues from 13 years ago I am anxious about feeling anxious. I read it and the light didn't switch on, the whole room lit up. I HAVE A GUIDE, A PLAN, A WAY OUT OF THIS MESS. It will not be easy, I have new outlook, anxiety has been welcomed by me into my life, it will be a long road but I can for the first time see a way out. Since reading it I have done more than I did in the last 6 months. I feel better already just by reading it. There is no magic cures out there. But the solution to this was sitting on his butt hiding behind medicines for the last 13 years.

I am going to keep a regular diary to review my progress and hopefully so people can see progress. I am getting better, I feel 60% of myself but I am determined to keep going because I want my life back.

Oosh
19-08-14, 22:16
Read all of that mate, interesting story.

Glad you've had a breakthrough with your book. I've heard people here mentioning that book.

Yeh, keep us updated. It'll be interesting to hear how you get on. :)

rossthekid
22-08-14, 20:04
Well first week back to work at reduced hours since my new outlook started. It is not easy, but hey no medication for 2 months after 13 years on it. The chronic anxiety is still there and at times is higher and at other times lower. I am not worried about any symptoms any more, in a way I say to myself bring it on. I am starting to live with it and in spite of it. For to long I waited at home to feel better before I lived my life again. Wrong approach, I needed to live my life to feel better. I am trying to focus on other external things and do stuff I enjoy, swimming golf etc. I am tired later in the day but I know this id normal due to mental exhaustion from 13 years of anxiety. Things don't get better straight away this is a process that will take months. But I am beginning to get my life back. I will keep you updated.

rossthekid
24-08-14, 21:35
Well very interestingly I have had a terrible weekend. My anxiety levels are really high, with fatigue derealisation. I have not done much over the weekend either. I don't know if it is due to beginning to accept these feelings, not fighting them and starting to live my life again. I'm golfing, swimming etc and was back to work for the first time in 3 months so maybe I should expect to feel like this. Its going to be a difficult road back and I am not expecting miracles after 1 week.
I am trying to take the fear out of the anxiety. My body has had this for 13 years so I am trying to live beside it as if I doesn't concern me anymore. I don't question why I have it, I understand the physical and mental feelings brought on by it and I couldn't care about them, so this is a change. However the more I go back to a normal life the more ill and fatigued I become but I am not stopping. I am not letting this take any more of my life and I am giving my mind a chance to heal itself, cause fighting it by self awareness of symptoms and looking for answers has not got me anywhere.

b0yer
25-08-14, 18:16
Good luck with your journey! Everyone has bad weekends and bad days. When I do, I call a friend of family to realize what is important in life. Also, you could just be exhausted. Take some time to sleep and rest up!

Try Vitamin B, Vitamin D and fish oil. These have helped me.

rossthekid
25-08-14, 18:55
Interestingly, I am b12 deficient. I have 3 monthly injections. However I have to say its more related to anxiety I think. I have been doing mindfulness relaxation which has a good response, but going back to work and the new start seemed to put this on the back burner. I still felt terrible today but after doing the relaxation I feel so much better tonight. Going forward this week my work hours are increasing this week so we will see what happens but I definitely have a new mental outlook to this and getting better will be layered and will not happen overnight. I could hid at home, but done that for most of the last 13 years, I it didn't work so onto something new. Cheers for the vit advice though.

Deepthinker
25-08-14, 19:39
rossthekid, wishing you the very best on your journey to recovery. You will get there! I, too, read the book, At Last a Life. I found it to be very helpful, as well. Blessings!

rossthekid
25-08-14, 20:17
rossthekid, wishing you the very best on your journey to recovery. You will get there! I, too, read the book, At Last a Life. I found it to be very helpful, as well. Blessings!

Cheers and although I still feel crap generally I have a new outlook and that makes all the difference.

rossthekid
26-08-14, 12:35
Well again difficult today, but the main problem is fatigue. I get to lunch and i am so tired. Anybody got tips of how to improve this.

Oosh
26-08-14, 12:57
Are you getting much exercise ?

I can get fatigued if i stop exercising for a prolonged period of time.But if i force myself to do some cardio regularly i speed up and generally have more energy.

Ive found diet impacts my energy/fatigue levels massively too.
I can eat carby foods throughout the morning and just feel like getting back in bed.

I try to exist on a more protein based diet until later in the day. This i find helps me stay alert.

But i can eat the wrong thing anytime in the day and feel like going to bed.

Regular good sleep keeps your hormones in order so less sleepy crashes through the day.

I love my first tea of the day but now always try to eat within one hour of waking, ideally protein.

rossthekid
02-09-14, 19:25
Well the journey continues apace with still no interest in going back to medication. Unfortunately I have had a terrible week with regards to my physical health which has knocked my new processes all over the place. I have had horrendous gastritis that started on Sunday and caused me to almost faint later that night. I got up and was really dizzy for about an hour after. I feel terrible, I am so tired, sore stomach achy and just awful. Doubled up my omeprazole but only second day and its not really working yet. Gp noticed my folate levels were low so maybe need to take folic acid to improve tiredness but apart from that my anxiety seems to be worse due to the physical stuff going on. But I keep going.

SADnomore
02-09-14, 21:59
Hi, Rossthekid!

I don't know whether you might have tried it yet, but I find Hycoscine Butyl/Bromide (Buscopan) more effective than omeprazole, and it's what the doctor gave me when I was no longer getting relief with the latter.

Marie