PDA

View Full Version : Visited the ER this weekend - now I'm very anxious

JoeGomez17
18-08-14, 19:00
Hi All,

I was walking on a track this weekend with my fiance and I felt very dizzy, I stumbled over to a bench and checked my heart rate and it was racing, my oximeter said 177bpm but I don't know if it was correct.

Anyway, I felt like I was going to pass out and my heart was racing and I felt like it was beating irregularly.

I went to the ER, they did 2 EKGs, bloodwork, troponin, x-ray, echocardiogram, and they all came back good.

Questions

Has this happened to you?
Was it anxiety driven?
How do I stop thinking about this incident?

I was on a new medication, Prilosec, and people are saying online that similar has happened to them. Has it happened to you?

Just looking for some comfort here. I was able to drive to work today without panicking, but I feel like I'm just waiting for that feeling to come back again.

Dolphin8808
18-08-14, 19:48
It could have been a SVT episode.... it often happens like that, then calms itself down on its own. Often hard to catch unless you wear a holter monitor. Has this ever happened before?

aprilmoon
18-08-14, 19:56
Hi Joe
Yes,its happened to me,and yes,it was anxiety.
What you do about it,is really down to what works best for you.
I'm now on a combo of meds that were prescribed by my psyche,which have helped me so much.
I don't know about the particular med you're on though.
My advice would be to try and go about your life in the same way that you would if it hadn't happened.
That's not to say its easy,but avoidance never works,long term,although it might feel better initially.
Best wishes

JoeGomez17
18-08-14, 20:16
It could have been a SVT episode.... it often happens like that, then calms itself down on its own. Often hard to catch unless you wear a holter monitor. Has this ever happened before?

It has never happened to me before. The only difference is that I am on a new medication. I have been feeling slightly dizzy recently but never with the racing heart.

---------- Post added at 12:16 ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 ----------

Hi Joe
Yes,its happened to me,and yes,it was anxiety.
What you do about it,is really down to what works best for you.
I'm now on a combo of meds that were prescribed by my psyche,which have helped me so much.
I don't know about the particular med you're on though.
My advice would be to try and go about your life in the same way that you would if it hadn't happened.
That's not to say its easy,but avoidance never works,long term,although it might feel better initially.
Best wishes

Thank you for the advice :) I'm trying to get my Dr Appt pushed from Friday to Today or Tomorrow. I was on new medication, Prilosec, which supposedly causes these side-effects.

It is really hard to go about daily life. I feel anxious about it happening again just while walking around the office!

Dolphin8808
18-08-14, 20:21
It is scary thinking about it happening again, but I am sure your doc will be able to give you some guidance. I've only had the racing heart when having a panic attack, not out of the blue but I am sure that can def happen to people.

Please try to relax and breathe ~ Its going to be fine :)

JoeGomez17
19-08-14, 00:49
It is scary thinking about it happening again, but I am sure your doc will be able to give you some guidance. I've only had the racing heart when having a panic attack, not out of the blue but I am sure that can def happen to people.

Please try to relax and breathe ~ Its going to be fine :)

Thanks for the kind words. I had another (not as serious) bout just now at work while blogging about my health anxiety.

---------- Post added at 16:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

Thanks for the kind words. I had another (not as serious) bout just now at work while blogging about my health anxiety.
I felt slightly light headed, then my pulse started to rise, I felt it, and it went faster. I felt I needed to urinate (lol). I went to the bathroom, it faded in about a minute or two.

Carnation
19-08-14, 01:02
I've had this happen to me and I am not on Meds. Paramedics told me I was having a Panic Attack. It is horrible and frightening. The best thing you can do is the breathing exercises, 5 in through the nose, 7 out through the mouth. Take control of your breathing.

JoeGomez17
19-08-14, 20:19
Thanks carnation. I will try that. Anyone else have similar symptoms

JoeGomez17
27-08-14, 16:53
Just a quick update - after my visit to the ER I have had 3 more panic attacks, before stopping my Prilosec medication. After 3 days the hard palpitations and fast heart beat stopped.

My last incident I pulled over to the side of the road and breathed deeply - it went away fast.

My doctor is having me do a holter monitor, but does not see reason for concern due to all my blood work, EKG, echocardiogram and x-rays coming back fine.

aprilmoon
27-08-14, 17:28
Hi
Well done for how you dealt with that last episode!
I'm sure you'll feel more confident now,and if anything like that happens again,which will probably become less and less likely now,you'll be a lot more prepared.
Glad things are improving for you.:)

hopey
02-09-14, 17:58
Hi Joe sorry to hear you had a bad weekend. These things are SO frightening arn,t they. It really makes ones minboggle!!! Hope some of the replies are helpful to you... It is sooo good that other people take time to reply. hopey