PDA

View Full Version : Terrified of going to the dentist on Wednesday...

anxious_thoughts
18-08-14, 22:27
My mother made me an appointment to go to the dentist on Wednesday and I'm so nervous :(!

I absolutely hate sitting in the chair and having to lay all the way back because of the feeling of no self control.

I also have been having troubles laying down flat as I sometimes get head pains in my forehead when I do and it's been like this for about a year now. I've also been getting head pains when I lie on my right side for about 5 years now. I'm not sure what's causing this but it makes me worry about brain tumours.

Do you guys think the dentist will allow me to clean my teeth sitting more upright? I mean they must be taught how to do that when people who are physically not able to do it, right?

Just really nervous and wishing I didn't have to go :weep:

jjjh
19-08-14, 05:44
Hi Jennifer I am just the same, in fact I only go to a dentist that will give me twilight sedation-is something like that possible for you?

swanick15
19-08-14, 11:10
The pains are probably caused by a sudden surge of blood going to the brain because you lie back at an awkward angle

anxious_thoughts
19-08-14, 21:08
Thanks for the replies guys!

Jjjh, I will see what my dentist tells me tomorrow. But thinking about being sedated makes me anxious :( oh anxiety!!

Aaron, that may be the reason. Some people have even said sinuses cause the problem as well. I just hope the dentist will be able to do it sitting up because I don't last long lying flat on my back. The anxiety really gets to me

anxious_thoughts
20-08-14, 17:44
Today's the day. I have my appointment in less than an hour and I really feel on edge. Anxiety is definitely high :(

---------- Post added at 12:44 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

Just a little update. I literally just finished from the dentist and it wasn't as bad as I thought. They didn't put the chair all the way down and I relaxed and I was totally fine. Slightly dizzy, but fine!

anthrokid
23-08-14, 00:16
Great to hear that they were able to keep the chair up a bit for you :) Sounds like you managed your anxiety really well throughout the appointment. Good job!

anxious_thoughts
27-08-14, 01:15
Thank you so much for the positive response!