PDA

View Full Version : Please help.. can't believe doctors

Fj2014
19-08-14, 12:21
I really need some advice here as I’m feeling really stuck.
Around six weeks ago I noticed a lump on my right hip bone – the hip is painful, especially when I’m trying to sleep and I have pain in my lower back on the right side and pain in my lower right abdomen and in my side.
I asked a doctor who I saw about my smear test about it and she said she thinks it’s tendons, I then saw another GP at a walk-in for a second opinion and he said my hip felt normal.

The fact that they both said different has baffled me and I’m really worried it’s a bone tumour.

I have an appointment with my GP next Tuesday about my anxiety and I don’t know whether to ask a third opinion – I know I won’t rest until I get an x-ray really but I can’t live my life not trusting the doctors.

Can anyone advise how to deal with this or help me believe what they’re saying?
It’s becoming an obsession.

Thanks x

stressedGuy
19-08-14, 12:50
With most symptoms, there are usually quite a few possible reasons for it. If you're like me, then you immediately assume that it's the worst case scenario rather than the more likely and less serious reason.

In the case of your hip, maybe you have to look at it from a slightly different angle and realise that both doctors gave you an opinion that ranges from nothing at all to mild. Neither one said that there was a reason to be overly concerned. It's easier for doctors to tell you what it ISN'T than it is to tell you what it IS.

In fact, both doctors were in agreement that it wasn't cancer. Did you mention that you were afraid of that?

Fishmanpa
19-08-14, 13:02
What's different about what they said? In so many words they said the same thing. Tendons are normal. It feels normal would mean if the 2nd doctor felt tendons he would say it feels normal. It's your anxiety dragon that's standing on your shoulder telling you little lies that grow into mistrust of medical professionals. You can choose to believe the dragon and continue to chase a diagnosis that won't come or get help to knock the dragon off you shoulder.

Positive thoughts

Dolphin8808
19-08-14, 13:19
I could have written your post! Ihad the same exact thing, hip pain that radiated to my back and abs. I had an xray it didn't show anything and over time it went away. Actually working out helped it to get better. You are fine, but I know how the worry can be totally consuming. It lasted quite a few months though. But it really will be fine.

Fj2014
19-08-14, 15:10
Thanks guys, it’s the ‘lump’ I’m concerned about but like you all have said – I need to trust the doctor.
I am planning on going next Tuesday to ask for help with my anxiety to put a stop to this obsession and many others which have reared their heads recently!!

x