PDA

View Full Version : Endorphins from exercising

rizo
20-08-14, 01:45
I'm aware that not everybody will feel motivated to exercise either in the gym or in their own home but from my own experience, moderate to intense exercise is one of the best ways that I know to boost your mental state almost instantly

I try to go to the gym as often as I can. And the feeling it gives me, especially if I push myself, is so worth it. Working out in the morning can literally change how you feel for the rest of the day and it also gives you an opportunity to use CBT exercises or positive thinking mantras more effectively because you are 'feeling good.'
I dont believe enough people really implement going to the gym or exercising at home seriously enough to help their anxiety and depression issues. It takes effort, and I understand that, but gradually easing yourself into it can be one of the best decisions you will make in your quest to feel better on a daily basis.
I will say running and jogging are awesome to boost your mood, but for the men out there, lifting heavy weights and pushing yourself as much as you can will really boost your mood better than any medication can. The power of endorphins is incredible for your mental state.

I hope I have inspired some people.
Take care.

sophiethestar
20-08-14, 12:14
I totally agree with this! My mood is so much better after a morning run or walk. I love the feeling of breathing in the morning air. It's hard to find motivation to get out there, but I always feel so much better once I've done it. :)

MyNameIsTerry
21-08-14, 04:54
Yeah, I agree with all this. If you can break out of the lack of motivation and conquer the feelings that exercise can bring that can seem similar to anxiety, it will really help you. It can build up your tolerance of anxiety symptoms or be able to dismiss them eventually as well increase some important critical underlying factors - self confidence, self worth & self esteem.

Rizo, have you ever looked at Crossfit? That might appeal to you.

rizo
21-08-14, 13:57
Rizo, have you ever looked at Crossfit? That might appeal to you.[/I]

I've heard of that Terry but I've never tried it. I'm up for anything that will challenge me though :)

MyNameIsTerry
22-08-14, 05:57
Well Crossfit is a mix of disciplines e.g. olympic lifts, bodyweight, plyometrics, etc and it's circuit and HIT work so I thought that might be up your street!

jordan89
26-09-14, 17:07
sucks cause i only get panic attacks from gym and hockey.

but i still do it :(

Optimism
01-10-14, 20:42
You could also give interval training a go - either using varying speeds or inclines when running, it gives you SUCH a buzz :-)

MyNameIsTerry
02-10-14, 05:35
You could also give interval training a go - either using varying speeds or inclines when running, it gives you SUCH a buzz :-)

I agree with you, interval training such as HIIT is more likely to create a high given its much harder on the body.

wcb123
08-11-14, 21:16
Exercise works for me too for a while, but then a few hours later i get internal tremors all over which kickstarts my anxiety again :( Also found that if i missed the gym for a day or two after a period of doing it everyday, the anxiety would get doubly worse.

MyNameIsTerry
09-11-14, 03:09
Exercise works for me too for a while, but then a few hours later i get internal tremors all over which kickstarts my anxiety again :( Also found that if i missed the gym for a day or two after a period of doing it everyday, the anxiety would get doubly worse.

That sounds like adrenaline causing the internal 'buzzing'. Exercise does help with this because its a matter of burning it off or it metabolizing or being excreted through urine.

You could do more gentle exercise e.g. walking or just do some chores around the house, it all counts.

I've found sitting about is when you notice it most and just getting up and moving around helps calm it down a bit.

Deep breathing also deals with it.

blue moon
11-11-14, 07:25
I am finding it to HOT to exercise I try and walk early morning before the heat of day sets in even then it is hot.:mad:

MyNameIsTerry
11-11-14, 07:31
I am finding it to HOT to exercise I try and walk early morning before the heat of day sets in even then it is hot.:mad:

Crocodile surfing Petra :flowers:

Being in the UK, we all think you've all got swimming pools in your gardens so we are well jealous!!! Its all the soap programmes we get fed.

blue moon
13-11-14, 04:50
I wish I had swimming pool Terry,if need to swim I go to the beach,in summertime we swim inside the stinger nets. I do not watch the daggy soap programmes,bloody stupid crap I say,just my opinion :D