PDA

View Full Version : Sinus infection/dizziness when will it go away?

Leslie735
20-08-14, 17:42
I posted last week about feeling like I'm floating, but didn't receive any responses. I went to see my doctor and he diagnoised me with a sinus infection (even though I do not have any drainage, congestion, sore throat, nothing) all I have is pressure in my head/nose/face (not severe but noticeable and it comes and goes) and my left ear feels full and pressure on it as well. We had gone camping a couple weekends ago and right after we got home I started feeling like I was floating, almost like on a boat. I've been on antibiotics now for 5 days and just finished up steroids and I do feel kinda better but still floating/dizzy feeling. How long is this going to last? I have a follow up with my ENT on the 25th but I'm starting to really worry. Of course I googled and came across MdDs (Mal de debarquement syndrome) and got so scared because it can last years with no cure or treatment! :( :( :( Someone/anyone who have experienced this?

I had this happen to me a few years ago after flying to see family. It came the morning after the flight, I also was diagnosed with a sinus infection at that time (I at least had the symptoms that time) and it lasted about 3 weeks. Its been a week and 1/2 so far this go around.

Annie0904
20-08-14, 18:10
I suffer from sinus problems a lot. Try steam inhalation to help clear it.

Leslie735
20-08-14, 18:12
I suffer from sinus problems a lot. Try steam inhalation to help clear it.

Does it cause this swaying/dizzy feeling for you? To me, that is the worst part. I can deal with the pressure a lot better than I can this.

Annie0904
20-08-14, 18:24
Yes it does make me feel really dizzy at times. I guess the sinus will put pressure on the Eustachian tubes which causes the dizziness.

Leslie735
20-08-14, 18:30
Yes it does make me feel really dizzy at times. I guess the sinus will put pressure on the Eustachian tubes which causes the dizziness.

I'm still not sure if this dizziness is related. It's a swaying, floating like on a boat feeling and my head feels heavy and full of pressure and I'm so fatigued. :(

Annie0904
20-08-14, 18:32
It sounds like it could be an inner ear infection.

swgrl09
20-08-14, 18:40
I've been fighting a sinus infection that keeps coming back for over 6 weeks now. Dizziness is definitely a symptom. I mainly have pressure/pain, sometimes congestion when I can get my sinuses to actually open and drain. I have been on and off antibiotics, etc. Now going to an ENT but can't get in until September 8.

Anyway, maybe try using a neti-pot, steam like Annie said, a nose spray can help too. I am using Nasacort, which is over the counter here in the USA now. It's a steroid nose spray and helps a little. I found once I started using that I stopped getting as dizzy.

Leslie735
20-08-14, 18:45
I've been fighting a sinus infection that keeps coming back for over 6 weeks now. Dizziness is definitely a symptom. I mainly have pressure/pain, sometimes congestion when I can get my sinuses to actually open and drain. I have been on and off antibiotics, etc. Now going to an ENT but can't get in until September 8.

Anyway, maybe try using a neti-pot, steam like Annie said, a nose spray can help too. I am using Nasacort, which is over the counter here in the USA now. It's a steroid nose spray and helps a little. I found once I started using that I stopped getting as dizzy.

Thanks for the reply. Like I said, I don't have any drainage at all. I don't feel any symptoms except the dizziness, fatigue, and some pressure on and off in my facial areas. It must be one stubborn infection. I don't have a neti-pot but how can I create steam?

Annie0904
20-08-14, 19:06
Boil a kettle and pour the water into a bowl, put a towel over your head and hold your face over the bowl. If you have any eucalyptus oil or menthol crystals but a few drops in.

Leslie735
20-08-14, 19:11
Ok thank you, I'll try it! Even though I don't have nasal congestion this will help? I can breathe completely fine, no congestion that I can actually feel.

Annie0904
20-08-14, 19:13
If you have pain in the sinus in your face then there is probably some congestion.

Leslie735
20-08-14, 19:35
I do, mainly over the bridge of my nose. Feels like someone is squeezing the boney part of my nose. I also have a touch of it in my upper cheek area but not as badly as my nose. It was in the forehead area a few days ago but that seems to have stopped.

Annie0904
20-08-14, 20:23
Alternating hot and cold compresses on your face can help relieve the pain (10 minutes each)

Leslie735
21-08-14, 04:19
Thank you!