PDA

View Full Version : Worrying about my dad now :(

rebeccad
20-08-14, 20:16
It's never ending the endless worry , now I'm worried about my dad , he's 65 and had his well man check. His prostate blood test was 4.6 in may and now has gone to 7.1. He's got to have a scan and a biopsy , I'm not sure if this is classed as extremely high I'm scared to google , I'm praying with everything I've go that it's not prostate cancer, but been as the score has gone up I'm expecting it . He has no symptoms though so surely this is good thing right ?
Does anybody have any experience with this ? X

Dolphin8808
20-08-14, 20:26
It is important to understand that the PSA test is not perfect. Most men with elevated PSA levels have noncancerous prostate enlargement, which is a normal part of aging :)

Please try to relax, I know its hard but the odds are without a doubt in his favor that he is fine!

cpe1978
20-08-14, 20:35
I would echo what dolphin says. I am responsible for developing some decision support tools in the NHS for patients and there is one about the PSA test that I looked at recently. One of the things that struck me as that one of the things involved in deciding whether to have a PSA test is the fact that it isn't always a reliable diagnostic of prostate cancer, it is merely an indication that there might be and with most indications it is in many cases not indicative.

I am no expert though.

rebeccad
21-08-14, 08:03
Thanks guys , I know your right it's just a worry x

Dolphin8808
21-08-14, 13:13
I am the same way so I totally understand!!! Thoughts and prayers with you xoxo

Autumn4
09-02-17, 16:14
Hi I wondered how your dad got on with the prostate biopsy etc. I'm really worried as my husband who is 66 has raised PSA from 4.5 to 8. They also felt a firm edge on rectal exam & saw something on MRI. I am scared of the infection risk with biopsy !!