PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks on waking

beckie100
21-08-14, 12:17
Hi everyone,
I've struggled with anxiety issues (GAD and panic) on and off for most of my life. Currently, I'm probably at my lowest. About 5 weeks ago, after the sudden death of a beloved pet I started suffering from extreme anxiety and panic attacks again. My GP changed my medication from 50mg sertraline to 20mg fluoxetine 2 weeks ago and I'm having some CBT. My main problem is that every single morning, without fail, I wake up with debilitating, extreme anxiety and panic with nausea and vomiting which persists for a couple of hours after getting up. This is also happening if I have a nap during the day. I have my issues under control to a degree, except for this problem when I wake up from any form of sleep.

Has anyone else experienced this and overcome it? I have been given a short course of diazepam but don't like taking it as it leaves me like a zombie, and I know I can't take it every day. At the moment, I'm off work as I am unable to work, or even complete simple household tasks because of this. I'm practising medication/breathing exercises as suggested by my therapist, but it simply isn't working. I have no idea how I'm supposed to control my thoughts and prevent an attack even before I wake up. Help please?

Thanks

P.S. I've had blood tests and had an overactive thyroid ruled out as the cause of the problem, but I'm unsure if any other physical problems could cause this.

mgw
21-08-14, 13:09
Hey,
just wanted to say that I used to experience waking panic attacks. For me, it often occured in the middle of the night, I'd wake up half asleep in the middle of one, was horrible!
After I began feeling better in myself they stopped, they occured for me when I was most anxious.